Championship: Accies go five points clear

When Hamilton Accies won the First Division back in 2007-2008 they got off to a blistering start with six wins in a row and this season’s squad is just two games away from emulating that feat after Saturday’s 2-1 win at Falkirk.

The New Douglas Park side, buoyed by having knocked Kilmarnock out of the Scottish League Cup last Tuesday, had to come back from a goal down to record their latest success.

The Bairns broke the deadlock on 50 minutes when Jay Fulton fired home a free-kick from 30 yards out, but 
Accies hit back with 18 minutes left when 
Mickael Antoine-Curier broke ­converted a Darian MacKinnon pass.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

And Accies claimed their fourth league win on the spin with 15 minutes left when Ali Crawford curled a 
magnicient strike from the edge of the box into the top corner.

Hamilton player-manager Alex Neil was delighted with the win but was keen to keep expectations in check. “It is a great win for us as Falkirk would have went top if they had won but we have moved five points clear of them,” he said. “The only issue with good runs is that it starts to build up expectations of winning games and football does not always work like that. They are going to expect us to go here, there and everywhere and win games but that isn’t going to be the case here.

The Championship is a really tough league and I am honest enough to say that this game could have gone either way. I am really pleased it went our way and it’s a great step forward for us but we will not be getting carried away.”

Falkirk manager Gary Holt said: “It is a disappointing game to lose as when we scored I thought we were in control of things. However, if you don’t take your chances you can let teams back into games and that’s what happened.”

Cowdenbeath got their first victory of the season as they beat Dumbarton 3-2 in a game that had a dramatic 

Jamie Stevenson gave the 
Central Park side the lead on 21 minutes with a drive from the edge of the box, before Chris Turner levelled with a fierce effort six minutes into the second half.

Turner then put Dumbarton ahead midway through the half with a similar effort, but Jon Robertson marked his return from St Mirren by running onto a Marc McKenzie pass to chip home.

Then deep into injury-time, Kane Hemmings burst through the visiting ­defence to fire home from 16 yards out.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Morton and Raith Rovers drew 1-1 at Cappielow with Dougie Imrie notching a first-half penalty for the hosts after a handball from Liam Fox before Grant Anderson’s looping header with 12 minutes left secured a point for the Kirkcaldy side.

Queen of the South played out a goalless draw at home to Alloa in a game in which both sides appeared to show the effects of having 120 minutes of League Cup action against Premiership opposition in midweek.

The hosts created the best two openings but Mark Durnan’s header was saved by Scott Bain and Ryan McGuffie’s effort slipped wide of the post.

Livingston now prop up the table after Friday night’s 3-0 defeat from Dundee at Dens Park left them with just one point.