Rumour Mill: Rangers protests | Messi out | Souttar to Sunderland?
Rangers fans urged to continue protests
The shareholders group looking to force their way onto the Ibrox board have urged supporters to continue protesting in order to keep the pressure on the current Ibrox regime. Director Paul Murray and Jim McColl are set to unveil their alternative vision for the club this week. Rangers supporters protested inside and outside the stadium on Saturday where Ally McCoist’s side thrashed Stenhousemuir 8 - 0. (Mail)
Neymar to line up in place of Messi against Celtic
Barcelona’s £50m summer signing - the Brazilian forward Neymar - is poised to lead the line against Celtic in Tuesday’s Champions League clash.
Messi picked up a thigh injury after scoring the first goal in his side’s 2 - 0 win over Almeria on Saturday and is expected to be out for up to three weeks.
• Barcelona will also be without Javier Mascherano , Jordi Alba and Carles Puyol
• Efe Ambrose says he is confident that Celtic can pull off another shock result against Barcelona tomorrow following their 2 - 1 victory over the Catalans last season in the Champions League
• Celtic’s match against Barcelona will be shown live on STV (kick-off 7.45pm)
• Barcelona’s 2 - 0 win over Almeria was their seventh win in seven games this season
• Barcelona’s Alexis Sanchez says his side have learned their lesson and will not be on the end of another defeat in Glasgow.
He said: “If we don’t win I think it will be a big surprise”.
Sunderland set to increase bid for Dundee United’s Souttar
Sunderland are expected to come back with an improved offer for Dundee United’s John Souttar. The Black Cats had a £400,000 offer turned down by the Tannadice club for the 17 year-old but are expected to increase their offer in order to push the deal through. (Record)
Players vow to rally round St Mirren boss Danny Lennon
Gary Harkins vowed to start winning games for St Mirren and save under-fire manager Danny Lennon from the sack. Lennon could be axed if he fails to pull off a result against Aberdeen tonight. The Buddies have picked up just 1 point from 6 games this season. (Record)
Celtic handed Ajax boost
Ajax striker Bojan Krkic limped off with hamstring injury during his side’s 6 - 0 victory over Go Ahead Eagles which could mean months out on the sidelines and that he is set to miss his side’s double header against Celtic in the Champions League. (Express)
Samaras “world class” says Celtic manager Neil Lennon
Georgios Samaras scored his first hat-trick in 3 years at the Parkhead club as Celtic secured a comfortable 5 - 2 win over Kilmarnock at Rugby Park . Samaras was backed by his manager for his performance with the Greek international adding that Celtic will need to be more “clinical” than they were during their 2 - 0 loss against AC Milan in the Champions League earlier this month. (Scotsman)
Alan Pattullo: Moyes in need of more positivity“Saturday’s defeat by West Bromwich Albion was surprising only in that it wasn’t completely surprising. Manchester United appear to be denuded at the moment and Moyes is already looking like one of the loneliest men on the planet. Relief does at least come in the form of Manchester City, who have somehow managed to lose to both Cardiff City and Aston Villa already this season.”
• Norwich manager Chris Hughton has challenged former Celtic striker Gary Hooper to replicated his SPL scoring form in the Premiership against “better players”