Guidetti offered £11.5m deal to join Marseille
FRENCH side Marseille have reportedly offered John Guidetti a bumper £11.5 million deal to move to Ligue 1 in the summer.
Including a £60,000-a-week wages offer, Marseille’s offer will leave Celtic chiefs sweating over their bid to keep the Swedish striker in Glasgow.
Guidetti, who is on loan from Manchester City, snatched a late, late equaliser to give Celtic a 3-3 draw with Inter last week, keeping the Hoops’ Europa League chances alive.
The 22-year-old would team up with Brice Dja Djédjé, brother of Hibernian striker Franck, if he agreed a move to the south of France. (The Sun)
Deila eyes experienced defender
RONNY Deila is reportedly keen on bringing in an old head to steady his defence - but faces a wait until the summer to get his man.
Celtic’s first-choice centre half pairing of Virgil van Dijk and Jason Denayer - 23 and 19 respectively - is relatively young, and the Norwegian has admitted signing an experienced stopper could be beneficial.
He told the Express: “To have another experienced central defender would be good. But if I had to choose I would stick with [Denayer and van Dijk] and not bring anybody in because they have the future in front of them.” (Express)
Gordon thanks fans after backing
CELTIC goalkeeper Craig Gordon has thanked fans for their backing after his blunder gifted Inter a goal last Thursday.
The former Hearts No 1 fumbled the ball allowing Inter to take a 3-2 lead - but saw super sub John Guidetti spare his blushes with a last-gasp leveller.
And Gordon, who has enjoyed a good rapport with the fans, thanked them for their support, adding: “Everyone has made an error at some point in their career and as players we know how that feels, and they responded really well by coming back and getting another goal, as did the fans.
“It was a great gesture from them. I’m sorry that I made them do it but at the same time it did spur me on to come out in the second half and not concede.” (HITC)
Sack Leach, demand Three Bears
The Three Bears consortium has called for Rangers finance chief Barry Leach to be sacked ahead of the club’s EGM on March 6.
The trio, comprising George Letham, Douglas Park and George Taylor are said to be furious at comments made by Leach at a recent Rangers Fans Board meeting.
According to minutes released on Monday, Leach was reported to have said the group had ‘s**t themselves’ when they thought their £6.5 million funding deal was about to be accepted, before a Mike Ashley loan was accepted instead.
A Three Bears statement last night read: “The insulting and uncomplimentary language used by Barry Leach towards our group defies belief on so many levels.
“Leach has engaged in grossly unprofessional conduct by maliciously attempting to undermine the reputation of our shareholder group.” (Scotland on Sunday)
I’ve been a failure, admits Kris Boyd
KRIS Boyd has admitted this season has been a failure and he needs to score 20 goals to have any hope of a new contract at Ibrox.
Boyd - who scored the winner as Rangers defeated Raith Rovers 2-1, said: “Coming [to Ibrox], the big thing for me was to target that 20-plus figure that a Rangers striker should have with the chances you get.
“If you don’t then I think you’ve failed. And, at this moment, as a Rangers striker this time around, it’s safe to say I’ve failed.”
Boyd scored 22 goals for Kilmarnock last season but has netted just three times for the Gers this season. (Sunday Mail)
Dundee United to explore safe standing
DUNDEE United could be the first top-flight club in Scotland to introduce a safe standing section, with Stephen Thompson revealing he’s set to invest £200,000 to create such an area at Tannadice.
United chief Thompson told the Sunday Mail: “Creating a safe standing area is expensive but it looks great and creates an atmosphere. We’re in a position to spend the money but we’d need to survey the fans first.”
In a lengthy interview, Thompson also revealed an interest in pre-match zones, bringing the season forward into the summer, reintroducing a winter break and encouraging a more open and trusting relationship with the media. (Sunday Mail)
Inter ‘in turmoil’ ahead of Celtic return leg
INTER have been left reeling after a bust-up between Nemanja Vidic and boss Roberto Mancini, according to reports in Italy.
Ex-Manchester United stopper Vidic was called on to replace Inter captain Andrea Ranocchia, who sustained an injury late on in the first leg.
But the Serbian defender took his time getting stripped, infuriating Mancini who ordered him to sit back down.
Ranocchia remained on the pitch and John Guidetti grabbed an equaliser, with Vidic and Mancini rowing after the match.
Vidic is reportedly set to leave the San Siro side in the summer. (Various)
Partick boss fears ‘doing a Hibs’
PARTICK Thistle boss Alan Archibald fears the Jags could end up ‘doing a Hibs’, after defeat to Ross County plunged them deep into the relegation zone.
Archibald watched Hibs falter last season, plummeting from sixth in the table at the start of the year to finish in the play-off place, losing out to Hamilton over two legs.
And the Jags gaffer fears his side are in danger of following suit after losing 3-1 to a spirited Ross County side at Firhill. (Sunday Mail)