The Rumour Mill: Tuesday’s football transfer news and gossip

IN today’s Rumour Mill: Charles Green is taken to task over bigotry accusations; former Rangers owner Craig Whyte is stripped of directorship; Dorin Goian could remain at Rangers this season, plus all the rest of today’s football transfer news and gossip

Charles Green faces SFA investigation over bigotry claim

Rangers chief executive Charles Green has been told to explain comments made before Rangers’ win against Brechin City in the Ramsdens Cup final, where he claimed that bigotry had been a factor in Rangers’ demotion to the Third Division.

Green, who is still in talks with football chiefs to gain full SFA membership, had said: “Some of it has been driven by bigotry, some of it has been driven by jealousy and some of it has been driven by all the wrong motives.” Green has until August 7 to respond to the SFA. (Daily Record)

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Craig Whyte’s ties with Rangers severed as former owner loses directorship

Former Rangers owner Craig Whyte has had his directorship terminated by Duff & Phelps. Documents submitted to Company House revealed the terminations to Whyte and other directors, including Andrew Ellis, Dave King and Gary Whithey.

“Notice has been served on directors of the old company as a formality and this was done as part of this process.” (The Sun)

Kim Bo-Kyung snubs Celtic for Cardiff

Celtic target Kim Bo-Kyung has told the Parkhead club he was never interested in a deal as he sealed a £2 million move to Cardiff. The South Korean international said that Cardiff was his “preferred choice.”

“I think the tactics and the vision here will suit me and that is why I wanted to come to this club,” the 22-year-old said. (Daily Mail)

Craig Beattie offered Ibrox deal

Rangers are vying with League One side Notts County for Craig Beattie’s signature. The former Hearts and Celtic striker, who was on trial at Ibrox last week, is believed to have been offered a more lucrative deal by Notts County. (Daily Express)

Dorin Goian to stay at Rangers after deal collapses

Romanian defender Dorin Goian looks set to sign an extension to his Rangers contract after talks with a Russian side fell through. The 31-year-old, who played for Rangers on Sunday against Brechin City, failed to agree personal terms with Kuban Krasnodar, managed by Dan Petrescu. (Daily Mail)

Meanwhile, Goian told the Sun that there is a “real possibility” that he could stay at Rangers.

Rangers newco latest

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

• SFL chief executive David Longmuir has warned Rangers not to expect an easy ride back to the top flight. Commenting on Rangers win over Brechin City, which required an extra-time winner from Lee McCulloch, said: “They could be with us for a lot longer than three years, judging by what I saw. They’ll need to make sure they’re up to the challenge our clubs are going to set them. (Daily Mail)

• Sandy Jardine has given Scottish football chiefs a vote of no confidence over revolutionising the game after criticising the treatment of Rangers “over the last three or four months”. Jardine, who added there was still a sense of “grievance” over the way Rangers’ demotion to the Third Division has been handled, said: “But to be honest if anyone is changing Scottish football, you’d be worried about the people in charge making the right decisions after everything we’ve been through in the last three or four months.” (Daily Mail)

• Rhys McCabe has sealed a move to Sheffield Wednesday after signing a three-year deal at Hillsborough. McCabe, who had signed a five-year contract with Rangers last year, declined to have his contract transfered to Charles Green’s newco. Rangers are expected to seek a compensation free from Wednesday. (Daily Mail)

In brief

• SPL chiefs are on the brink of agreeing a £60 million deal with Sky and ESPN to continue to screen top-flight Scottish footbal. Neil Doncaster and Peter Lawwell attended talks in London yesterday to agree a five-year deal with a three-year option.