Albion rage at ref after loss to Brechin

THE SFA’s head of refereeing development John Fleming can expect an angry phone call this morning from Albion Rovers chairman Frank Meade about the performance of referee Brian Colvin in his side’s 2-1 defeat from Brechin City.

The Coatbridge men were leading through a Jamie Gilmartin goal until goalkeeper Chris Fahey was red-carded as he conceded the penalty for a challenge on Paul McManus that the striker equalised from.

Mick Dunlop headed in an injury time winner with Rovers midfielder Ryan McStay dismissed in the last seconds after a foul to leave. Afterwards Meade said: “The referee told us that he saw Chris get a touch on the ball but it was not a proper save. He refused to speak to us further after the game and perhaps he was having some thoughts about his performance. We will have a look at the DVD and if it proves we have grounds, then we will appeal.”

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

East Fife sit bottom of the division after a 6-0 defeat from Dumbarton. Martin McBride opened the scoring with a long range shot after 17 minutes with striker Bryan Prunty grabbing the first two of his four goals by the time 33 minutes had been played with Jamie Lyden adding a fourth right on half time.

Ryan Wallace missed a penalty for the Fifers before Prunty adding two quick fire strikes to make it six.

Arbroath went top of the table after beating Stirling Albion 4-2 at Gayfield. The visiting David McPherson had a debut to forget as he put through his own goal after ten minutes, however headers from Alan Cook and Shaun Dillon had Jocky Scott’s side 2-1 ahead four minutes after half time.

The dismissal of the visiting Gary Thom a minute later after he conceded a penalty turned the game as Steven Doris netted from the spot and player/ manager Paul Sheerin along with Gavin Swankie scored to complete the win.

Stenhousemuir moved into second place with a 3-1 success over visitors Cowdenbeath with the goals coming in the second half. Andy Rodgers netted from close range to put the Warriors ahead, however Kenny Adamson fired in a fine leveller. Paul McHale netted from distance and Brown Ferguson converted a Stevie Murray cross to keep all 3 points at Ochilview.

Forfar Athletic beat Airdrie United 3-2 at Station Park with Martyn Fotheringham hitting the winner after the Diamonds had come back from the loss of a Stevie Crawford goal to lead through Jamie Stevenson and Sean Lynch. Crawford headed in a second to tie the scores and give Fotheringham the platform to win the game.