First Division: Rare treble stretches Raith Rovers' lead at top of the table

League leaders Raith Rovers hit three goals in the one game for the first time in almost six months to defeat Stirling Albion 3-1 and extend their lead over Fife rivals Dunfermline to five points, whilst their hosts finished the day at the foot of the table.

Gregory Tade opened the scoring for Raith after 15 minutes when an Allan Walker corner fell into the Frenchman's path and he converted. Stirling hit back just before half time when Ryan Borris converted, but Rovers regained the initiative five minutes into the second half when Tade shot home. Walker tied matters up with a goal 25 minutes from time. Raith boss John McGlynn said: "There was a bit of pressure on us as none of the other top three were playing and also Stirling had beaten us already in the season. There are a lot of strong characters in this squad and they responded well but we are only half way through the season."

New Albion manager Jocky Scott said: "I felt we were doing well in the first half but losing a goal and our goalkeeper in the opening stages of the second half hurt us. The goals we conceded were avoidable."

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Dundee climbed above Stirling thanks to a 2-1 win at Queen of the South to make it 28 points out of the last 30 available. Craig Forsyth opened the scoring in 34 minutes but Queen of the South drew level just before the hour mark when Ryan McGuffie met a Willie McLaren free kick to head home. The winner came from a fine goal from Sean Higgins, who volleyed home a flick from Nicky Riley with 13 minutes to go.

Dundee manager Barry Smith said: "We have given ourselves a chance of moving up the table. There is still a long way to go and we can play better than we did today. Queen of the South were the better team but we did score two great goals."

Ross County have still to register a win under manager Willie McStay after Cowdenbeath left Victoria Park with a point following a 1-1 draw. The Dingwall men opened the scoring when on-loan Celtic defender Jason Marr cracked in an 18-yard shot after 30 minutes. Cowdenbeath levelled on 52 minutes when County's Marc Fitzpatrick turned the ball past his own goalkeeper Michael McGovern.

County take on Stirling next Saturday and McStay said: "This has to be the game that we kick on in. Three points are a must."

Cowdenbeath manager Jimmy Nicholl said: "Hopefully this will be a turning point as we came back in a game after going behind. We had been collapsing after going behind recently and I had words at half time to make sure we did not do it this time."