Classic Match: Hibs 5 - 0 Napoli, November 29, 1967

A memorable night at Easter Road saw Hibs overturn a three-goal deficit to Italian opposition – and put five past Dino Zoff in the process ..

HIBS annihilated Napoli 5-0 to storm into the third round of the Fairs Cup on a 6-4 aggregate and, in doing so, became the first Scottish team in eight attempts to master Italian opposition in a two-leg contest.

From the moment Bobby Duncan belted the first goal past Dino Zoff after five minutes, it was clear that the Italians wouldn't live with Hibs.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

It was Hibs' biggest-ever win in Europe, and a great occasion for Pat Quinn to chalk up the club's 50th goal in European matches.

Hibs had beaten Racing Club of Paris 3-0 in the previous round.

And the cry from the fans after their superb performance against Napoli was "Bring on Leeds!" But after a brave battle, Hibs eventually lost out 2-1 to the Elland Road men in the next round.

Some pundits had written off Hibs' chances. But those who had seen the first leg in the San Paulo Stadium, knew that Hibs had been unlucky to lose 4-1.

Manager Bob Shankly was supremely confident and told Italian journalists that Hibs would qualify.

His confidence was justified as Napoli were outclassed and had no answer to Hibs' surging raids.

Every home player fought for the ball with a tenacity that guaranteed success, and they kept cool despite the harsh tackling and persistent fouling which helped Napoli to waste time.

The Hibs players were fouled a total of 21 times in the first half alone and the deflated Italian league leaders returned home in disgrace after substitute Girardo was sent off for a deliberate kick at Eric Stevenson.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Hibs had been given a pre-match boost by the announcement that Stevenson would play. And even if the winger was not properly tuned up, his presence was an asset.

A crowd of 21,000 roared Hibs to victory, and their hero was Pat Stanton, who drove his forwards on to get the goals needed.

He scored the fourth goal, pictured above, himself and was thwarted by the superb goalkeeping of Zoff on another occasion.

Zoff was the busiest man on the park, while Hibs keeper Willie Wilson didn't have to make a single save all night.

Bobby Duncan scored his first goal for the club after just five minutes. He took a short pass from Jim Scott, and held off a couple of tackles before cracking a 25-yard left-footer high into the net.

That was the early goal Hibs had talked about. Peter Cormack had a strong penalty claim turned down and then Zoff made a fantastic save from Stanton.

Colin Stein had an effort cleared off the line and, just on half-time, Quinn slipped in the second goal after Stein had forced the ball against the post.

Another Cormack penalty claim was rejected and then came two goals in two minutes to shatter Napoli completely.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

A perfect Scott corner floated into the goalmouth and Cormack jumped a foot higher than anyone else to nod a glorious third.

Another delightful Scott centre in 69 minutes and there was Stanton at the far post to head home. Stein scored a splendid fifth in 79 minutes.

The scale of Hibs' achievement can be judged by the fact that Napoli conceded five goals in 90 minutes – the same number they had lost in their previous six matches.

Hibs: Wilson; Duncan, Davis, Stanton, Madsen, McGraw, Scott, Quinn, Stein, Cormack, Stevenson.

Napoli: Zoff; Narota, Fagliana, Zuritini, Fanzanato, Bianchi, Cane, Juliano, Orlando, Montefusco (Girardo), Barison.