Classic match: Hibs 4, Celtic 4 (Hibs win 4-3 on pens) September 4, 1985

HIBS recorded a magnificent victory over Celtic in a penalty decider to book their place in the Skol Cup semi-finals.

This thriller saw Celtic twice in front and Hibs twice ahead in what was a wonderful advert for the Scottish game.

It was exciting, dramatic entertainment from start to finish with good goals, defensive blunders which led to other scores, three bookings and the result in doubt right up to the final whistle.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

It had been a difficult start to the season for the players and manager John Blackley, which mean the success was all the sweeter.

Celtic had taken the lead after only two minutes when Maurice Johnston's 25-yard shot was deflected by Ally Brazil past the helpless Alan Rough.

Stevie Cowan equalised in half an hour with a header from Gordon Durie's cross before Durie, eight minutes later, headed a great goal from an Alan Sneddon cross.

But Celtic were level before half-time with a low shot from Davie Provan.

Colin Harris replaced future Hibees boss John Collins in 57 minutes and, within three minutes, had put Hibs back in the lead, rounding Bonner and slipping the ball into an empty net.

Before Hibs could congratulate themselves Johnston made it 3-3 with a close range header.

In the eighth minute of extra-time, Roy Aitken regained the lead for Celtic. In a wonderful run, Aitken tricked four defenders before gently sliding another low shot out of Rough's reach. But Hibs drew level three minutes later with a Durie shot, pictured above, which struck Danny McGrain before crossing the line.

All 26 players were heroes and, although they all tired in the last 15 minutes, they made it a memorable evening for all.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

So, in the end, it took penalties to decide who would take on Rangers in the last four.

Munro put Hibs one up and Aitken missed, or rather Rough pulled off the best save of the night to deny him.

Durie made it 2-0 and, when Rough pushed away Peter Grant's drive, it looked all over. But Rae missed and Paul McStay scored. Mark Fulton and Brian McClair both counted, leaving Brazil to convert to put Celtic out.

But Benny's shot was weak, giving Bonner the opportunity to save and so it was on to sudden death when Tommy Burns equalised.

Stevie Cowan scored but Irishman Pearce O'Leary, faced with the task of keeping Celtic in the competition, fired yards high to spark off a field invasion by hundreds of Hibs fans.

The players danced with delight and no wonder.

They had battled bravely and never gave up when the odds seemed against them and, for a change, earned that slice of luck which makes all the difference in winning cup ties.

After seeing off Rangers 2-1 on aggregate in the semis, Hibs were disappointingly defeated 3-0 by Alex Ferguson's Aberdeen in the final at Hampden.

Hibs: Rough, Sneddon, Brazil, Fulton, Rae, Hunter, Weir (McKee 96), Munro, Cowan, Durie, Collins (Harris 57)