Financial adviser jailed for killing baby daughter

A financial adviser who killed his baby daughter and then tried to murder a baby boy two years later has been jailed for 12 years.
Ian Ruddock arrives at court for trial. He was sentenced yesterday. Picture: Lesley DonaldIan Ruddock arrives at court for trial. He was sentenced yesterday. Picture: Lesley Donald
Ian Ruddock arrives at court for trial. He was sentenced yesterday. Picture: Lesley Donald

At the High Court in Glasgow Ian Ruddock, who insists he is innocent, was told by Lord Bannatyne that the killing of his five-week-old daughter Olivia was “a gross breach of trust”.

Lord Bannatyne told Ruddock, 34, that it was a parent’s duty to care for a child.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

He added: “The offences of which you have been convicted are of very significant gravity. You committed both these offences when both children were babies. It is difficult to think of a more vulnerable victim than a baby.”

The judge then told Ruddock: “You had all the advantages of a good, happy upbringing. You were someone who was materially comfortable. You are not someone who had an unhappy upbringing nor were you someone who had significant problems.”

As the sentence was imposed members of Ruddock’s family sat weeping in the public benches. He showed no emotion as he was led away to begin his sentence.

Defence QC Donald Findlay said: “Mr Ruddock respects the verdict of the jury, but he does not accept it. The man’s position is that he did not do these things.”

Mr Findlay added: “Two little boys who apparently dote on their dad are going to lose [him] for a very long time.”

Ruddock went on trial accused of murdering five-week-old Olivia at his home in Clarkston, East Renfrewshire, in 2011.

He was cleared of murder, but a jury at the High Court in Edinburgh found him guilty of a reduced charge of killing Olivia.

Ruddock was also found guilty of the attempted murder of a baby boy in Glasgow in 2013.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Ruddock, from Shawlands, Glasgow, had denied the charges during his seven-week trial but was convicted by a majority verdict.

The court heard that on various occasions between January and March 2011, Ruddock repeatedly shook his daughter, causing her to suffer extensive rib and head injuries.

Foul play was not suspected when she died at Glasgow’s Yorkhill Hospital on 6 March 2011 and Ruddock went on to carry out attacks on another child at an address in Glasgow in 2013. The baby boy suffered a fractured skull and fractured ribs during attacks by Ruddock.

He was caught after police, tipped off by medics, launched an investigation shortly after the second infant’s injuries were 

Olivia was rushed to Glasgow’s Victoria Infirmary and later transferred to Yorkhill Hospital where she died.

Related topics: