Dundee 0 - 0 Raith Rovers: Dundee edge closer

Dundee, with the chance to strengthen their grip at the top of the Championship, succeeded only in drawing with Raith Rovers in a disappointing Dens Park encounter last night.

Dundee manager Paul Hartley. Picture: SNS
Dundee manager Paul Hartley. Picture: SNS

Paul Hartley’s league leaders had aspirations to move three points clear in the race for promotion by winning this re-arranged fixture with Grant Murray’s men.

But, instead, they failed to deliver and sit just one point ahead of nearest rivals Hamilton with eight games remaining in their attempt to return to the SPFL.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Dundee created the first clear-cut opportunity in 14 minutes. Willie Dyer raced down the left and crossed into the box for Steven Doris who’d made some space for himself.

Doris took it early with his left-foot but saw his effort from 12-yards comfortably held by visiting keeper Lee 

A few minutes later, Rovers forward Greig Spence tried his luck from distance. Spence’s shot took a wicked bounce in front of home keeper Kyle Letheren who didn’t see it until late, but still managed to pull off a decent save.

That gave the Fifer’s a lift and soon after John Baird curled a free-kick from distance which Letheren was relieved to see go past his right-hand post.

But Letheren was the hero for the home team in 29 minutes as he stopped Raith from taking the lead.

Joe Cardle worked wonders out on the wing before whipping over an inch-perfect cross deep into the danger area.

Cardle’s delivery picked out Grant Anderson whose 
header looked net-bound until Welshman Letheren denied him with a point-blank save on the line.

Cardle was then booked for dissent minutes before half-time before Paul Watson saw an ambitious over-head kick go high over Letheren’s bar.

Dundee came out intent on making amends for a flat first-half performance and had a decent chance in 50 minutes.

Gavin Rae swept the ball wide to Boyle who steadied himself before unleashing a left-foot shot which Robinson gathered low down.

Dundee’s next effort at goal came midway through the 
second-half when Jim 
McAlister shot over the top from 25-yards.

The Dark Blues went all out attack towards the end and with ten minutes left substitute Ryan Conroy headed just wide from Dyer’s cross, but it ended as a night of frustration for the Taysiders.

Dundee: P Letheren, Irvine, Benedictus, Gallacher, Dyer, Boyle (Riley 70), Rae, Iain Davidson, McAlister, MacDonald, Doris (Conroy 61). Subs Not Used: Lockwood, Twardzik, Cummins, Wighton.

Raith Rovers: P Thomson, Paul Watson (Donaldson 46), Hill, Booth, Anderson, Moon (Mullen 50), Fox, Cardle, Spence (Smith 86), Baird. Subs Not Used: Ellis,Laidlaw,Vaughan,Matthews.

Referee: S Finnie.

Attendance: 4,561