Italy has announced it is extending its coronavirus restrictions to include the entire country, a decision that will affect more than 60 million people for almost a month.
Italian premier Giuseppe Conte has said he is extending restrictions on travel from the north to the entire country to try to stop the spread of coronavirus.
Mr Conte said a new government decree will require all people in Italy to demonstrate a need to work, health conditions or other limited reasons to travel outside the areas where they live.
"There won't be just a red zone," he told reporters, referring to a lockdown of areas in northern Italy instituted over the weekend.
"There will be Italy" as a protected area, he said.
The restrictions will take effect on Tuesday and will last until April 3, he said.
Mr Conte also took to task young people in much of Italy who have been gathering at night to socialise during the public health emergency that started on February 21.
"This nightlife... we can't allow this any more," he said.
Pubs had been closed in northern Italy, with eateries and cafes also ordered to close at dusk. Now that crackdown is extended to the entire country.