Cigarette could have caused Taiwan water park blaze

Investigators in Taiwan are investigating the possibility that a cigarette butt or spark caused the blaze that burned more than 500 people at a weekend water park party when coloured powder sprayed from the stage caught fire.

Taiwan president Ma Ying-jeou shakes hands with a victim. Picture: Getty
Taiwan president Ma Ying-jeou shakes hands with a victim. Picture: Getty

More than 400 people remained in hospital, 200 in serious condition, city officials said yesterday. Eight suffered life-threatening injuries.

Police recommended criminal charges against the organiser of Saturday’s party, as well as two technicians, at the Formosa Fun Coast theme park in suburban Taipei.

Sign up to our World Explained newsletter

“It’s still not clear what happened, but there were a number of people smoking and the weather was warm,” a police spokesman said. Temperatures around greater Taipei topped 36C before the party.

The three tonnes of coloured starch-based powder bought by the organisers from Tai Won, a seller in the island’s southern county Yunlin, were flammable, said Chou Hui-fang, a representative of the seller. She said the buyer was informed about the risk of fire.

“Whether it’s corn starch or flour starch, this kind of stuff, no matter how long it’s been around, if it’s in dense quantities and if it’s hot, it can catch fire,” Ms Chou said.

She said employees at her company has been questioned by police and health officials but they were not considered at fault.“We didn’t know what the buyers were going to do with it or how much they would use,” she said.

“It might have been supplies for a whole year.”

Taiwan premier Mao Chi-kuo yesterday announced a ban on coloured powder at future private events. The water park was ordered to close after the fire.
Coloured powder is often thrown on revellers during the annual Holi celebrations in India and Nepal, a Hindu festival, but the powder at Saturday’s party was made in Taiwan, Ms Chou said.

Taiwan police recommended charges of professional neglect and public endangerment yesterday for party organiser Lu Chung-chi, who was arrested but released on bail of one million Taiwan dollars (£20,000) and restricted from leaving the island, a New Taipei City police spokesman said.

Local media photos showed Mr Lu kneeling on the ground to apologise, pledging to take full responsibility.

Police also recommended charges for the stage hardware technician and the person responsible for shooting off the powder.

Each was given bail of 300,000 Taiwan dollars.

Officers questioned another two involved in the event but did not recommend charges, said Yan Bo-jen, of the Luzhou precinct of New Taipei City police department.

Prosecutors have also seized the assets of the water park and of the party organisers.

The powder at the party on Saturday had ignited along the ground, mainly burning people’s lower bodies, said Wang Wei-sheng, a fire department spokesman.

On Sunday, the central government said it was taking an inventory of medical supplies to ensure that the injured could get timely treatment.