Woman finds scorpion in supermarket bananas

A TRAUMATISED Dumfries house wife is recovering at home after finding a scorpion in a bunch of bananas she bought at a local supermarket.

• Scorpion found among bananas purchased from a supermarket last Thursday

• Desert hairy scorpion is native to North America; a bite to humans can cause intense inflammation and sickness

The Scottish SPCA revealed today that the charity has been contacted by the “terrified woman” after she found the small tropical scorpion in her supermarket shopping last Thursday.

Animal Rescue Officer Tricia Smith collected the sand coloured desert hairy scorpion, of the Hadrurus arizonensis family, and transported it to the charity’s Glasgow Animal Rescue and Rehoming Centre for care.

Ms Smith said: “The lady was terrified when she called us, although she had managed to contain the scorpion in a jar.”

She explained: “Desert hairy scorpions aren’t deadly but if bitten the pain could vary from that of a bee sting to intense inflammation and sickness.

“They’re native to North America so it’s likely this scorpion has come over to Scotland with the bananas. It’s just bigger than a fifty pence piece at the moment, indicating it’s quite young as an adult can reach up to six inches long.”

Ms Smith added: “We’re hopeful we’ll soon be able to find this scorpion a home with an experienced and knowledgeable owner where it can receive the care it needs.”