What Matters to Me: Anna Devin, soprano
• Whom did you last text and what was the message? I haven’t replied to any texts for a while, as I’m using my iPhone’s privacy setting.
• It’s not cool but... I am an opera singer and I love it.
• What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given? To go with your gut instinct.
• What’s the worst job you’ve ever had? Working as a waitress in a horrible Mexican restaurant in California.
• Who is your favourite fictional character? Jessica Rabbit.
• What are you afraid of? Heights – but that doesn’t stop me challenging myself.
• Did you have a nickname growing up? What was it and why? You’ll have to ask my sister. In Ireland nicknames die hard and I still have the same one as I always did.
• What situations make you lose your temper? Not many. More often than not I lose my temper with myself when I mess up.
• If you could choose a profession that you would like to try, what would that be? Why? I’d like to be an international showjumper. It is my other childhood dream, after being an opera singer.
• What food or drink is always in your fridge? Berries and yoghurt.
• If you could change something about yourself, what would it be? The need to overplan everything.
• If you could travel back in time, where would you go? It would be nice to go back to the times of Jane Austen’s novels.
• Saturday night or Sunday morning? Sunday morning.
• Who or what is the love of your life? My fiancé.
Devin is singing the role of Sophie in Scottish Opera’s new production of Werther at the Theatre Royal (282 Hope Street, Glasgow) on 15, 17, 20 and 23 February and the Festival Theatre (13-29 Nicolson Street, Edinburgh) on 26 and 28 February, and 2 March. Tickets from £9, see www.scottishopera.org.uk for times and other prices.