Ward closed after patient with bug dies

A HOSPITAL ward has been closed following an outbreak of a bacterial infection that claimed the life of an elderly patient, a health board has revealed.

The 86-year-old woman, who had serious underlying health conditions, died ten days ago in Drumchapel Hospital in Glasgow. Officials isolated the ward because of the "higher than anticipated" incidences of the Group A streptococcal (GAS) bug last Wednesday.

Six patients and one member of staff have mild symptoms and are responding well to treatment, an NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde spokesman said.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

All six patients are being nursed in isolation and the member of staff will remain at home until treatment is completed. Other patients and staff members have been swabbed and tested to see if they are carrying the virus.

GAS infections are caused by Streptococcus pyogenes, a bacterium commonly found on the skin or in the nose and throat. Its effects range from sore throat to major invasive infections.