Man behind Westminster paedophile ring claims to be charged

A man who made false claims about a VIP paedophile ring has been charged by police. Picture: AP
A man who made false claims about a VIP paedophile ring has been charged by police. Picture: AP

A man known only as Nick who sparked a £2.5 million police investigation into a claimed Westminster paedophile ring has been charged with allegedly lying about child murders and abuse.

The accuser, 50, whose name has been withheld for legal reasons, made a series of bombshell allegations including killings, rape and torture by senior figures in politics, the Army and security services.

Claims were made against former Conservative MP Harvey Proctor, Lord Bramall, and late ex-home secretary Lord Brittan. Picture: PA

Claims were made against former Conservative MP Harvey Proctor, Lord Bramall, and late ex-home secretary Lord Brittan. Picture: PA

His claims sparked the Metropolitan Police investigation Operation Midland, that saw officers raiding the homes of prominent figures including Lord Bramall, the late ex-home secretary Lord Brittan and ex-Tory MP Harvey Proctor - but closed without a single arrest.

The Crown Prosecution Service announced on Tuesday that Nick is to be charged with 12 counts of perverting the course of justice and one count of fraud.

Mr Proctor said: “The decision of the CPS to prosecute Nick for perverting the course of justice and fraud is to be welcomed. Justice must now be allowed to take its course. Northumbria Police are to be congratulated for their thorough and robust investigation.

• READ MORE: Call for VIP child abuse accuser to face prosecution

“I hope there will be no unnecessary delays in arranging the trial. The torture that was and is Operation Midland should end as soon as is possible.”

The perverting the course of justice charges against Nick allege that he:

- made a false allegation of witnessing the child homicide of an unnamed boy committed by Mr Harvey Proctor.

- made a false allegation of witnessing the child homicide of a boy called Scott.

- made a false allegation of witnessing the child homicide of another unnamed boy.

- falsely alleged that he had been sexually and physically abused by a paedophile ring, with senior ranking officers within the military, military intelligence, a TV presenter and other unidentified men accused as members.

- falsely alleged that he had been sexually and physically abused by a paedophile ring, with politicians, a TV presenter, and other unidentified men accused as members.

- provided a list of sexual abusers and locations falsely alleging that he had been subjected to physical and sexual abuse by the said sexual abusers at the said locations.

- provided sketches of locations at which he had been physically and sexually abused, falsely claiming that he had produced them from memory.

- provided and repeated the name of Aubrey, falsely alleging that Aubrey had been present and subjected to physical and sexual abuse when with him.

- provided a pen knife and two military epaulettes falsely alleging that he had retained them from when he was abused as a child.

- falsely claimed that he had suffered serious injuries as a result of having been sexually and physically abused as a child.

- falsified a “Proton” email account, and provided false information purportedly sent from “Fred”, an individual who he had named as present when he was abused by a paedophile ring.

- went together with investigators on site visits and falsely alleged that it was at locations identified by him during those visits that he had been subjected to physical and sexual abuse by a paedophile ring.

• READ MORE: Dani Garavelli: Oxfam crisis doesn’t absolve us of our debt

The fraud charge alleges that he falsely claimed £22,000 from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority by saying “he was subjected to abuse by a paedophile ring, knowing this to be untrue and intending thereby to make a gain for himself”.

Nick will appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on September 5.

Labour peer and former MP Lord Janner was among those accused and died in 2015 before his name was cleared.

His son, Daniel Janner QC, had vowed to bring a private prosecution if the CPS did not pursue the charges.

He said on Tuesday that he would now “happily” drop those plans.