We are suing, we are suing, Rod Stewart, 'cross the sea, we are suing, stormy row, to get our cash, and our fee
The singer is alleged to owe his former lawyers nearly 2 million in fees following a series of court cases in which they represented him.
The entertainment law firm Glaser, Weil, Fink, Jacobs, Howard & Shapiro began the process to recoup the outstanding sum yesterday.
The suit claims that the law firm has represented the 64-year-old for more than two decades on at least 19 different matters, without once obtaining a signed retainer agreement.
It highlights three instances where the firm's lawyers represented the father of seven between 2001 and 2007.
The most notable case was a dispute surrounding Stewart's cancellation of a New Year's concert in Las Vegas back in 2000, following which a judge ordered him to repay his advance of more than 1.7m to a hotel group.
The ruling three years ago by US district judge Larry Hicks followed a finding by a jury that Stewart ought to have reimbursed the advance to Harrah's Entertainment, owners of the Rio Hotel off the Las Vegas strip.
Stewart had cancelled the appearance on medical grounds, telling organisers he was still recovering from surgery for thyroid cancer a few months earlier.
However, he was ordered repay his advance plus an additional 87,000 in contempt-of-court fines and legal costs for failing to turn over information to the court.
Glaser, Weil, Fink, Jacobs, Howard & Shapiro also represented the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame star in a trademark infringement case brought by RKO Pictures, and a lawsuit filed by a concert promoter.
The latter case resulted in Stewart, who is married to model Penny Lancaster, being ordered to repay 420,000 to the company organising a South American tour which he pulled out of only a month before it was due to begin.
The firm, which has numerous high-profile clients including Sir Sean Connery, Barbra Streisland, Kelsey Grammer and Paula Abdul, served the lawsuit against Stewart in the LA superior court on Tuesday.
It claims that while Stewart has paid some of the fees demanded of him, there remains a significant balance to be settled.
No-one from Stewart's management company, Arnold Stiefel Management, was available for comment.
Meanwhile, Stewart's former bandmates in the Faces yesterday vowed to press ahead with plans for a reunion, despite the fact their former frontman will not be taking part.
Ian McLagan, the keyboard player with the rock band famous for its hit, Stay With Me, said Stewart had ruled himself out. "We've been waiting for Rod to say yes, now he's finally said no. He's busy doing other s**t. So we're going to do it."
At a one-off gig earlier this year, the band used a series of guest singers, including former Spice Girl Mel C and Simply Red singer Mick Hucknall, who has been tipped to fill the position for any upcoming tour.