Teenager was killed in ‘10 seconds’, court hears

A RACIST gang took just ten seconds to kill black teenager Stephen Lawrence and then “casually” walked away, the Old Bailey heard yesterday.

Reeling from two stab wounds the A-level student “ran for his life”, hospital worker Royston Westbrook told the jury. He was the first of three eyewitnesses who gave their accounts of the night Mr Lawrence was killed in Eltham, south east London in April 1993.

Mr Westbrook told the court that he initially thought the black teenager had only been punched.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

He said: “It was so quick – it was about ten seconds – and my impression going away from that was that they managed to punch him and that was it.”

He said Mr Lawrence got back to his feet almost as soon as he was forced to the ground. Mr Westbrook added: “He basically crossed over the road and ran for his life up the hill.”

He said the four or five white youths who had staged the attack then just walked away. “They stood there for a few seconds and then walked off.”

Mr Lawrence was killed by a gang in Eltham, south east London in April 1993. Gary Dobson, 36, and David Norris, 35, both of south London, deny his murder.

Mr Westbrook said he saw a group of white men “collide” with Mr Lawrence and his friend Duwayne Brooks.

He told the court: “The two black boys, Stephen and Duwayne, were standing right by the bus stop. They were kicking about, they were talking about football... they were just generally chit-chatting.”

The teenagers were discussing whether or not they should wait for a bus or walk back up to a roundabout to try to get another.

In the end they made the fateful decision to walk away, and were set upon by the gang.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Mr Westbrook told the court: “They just collided - that’s what it looked like. They were just heading towards each other and that was it.”

Reliving the attack, which happened more than 18 years ago, he went on: “They grabbed Duwayne Brooks’ wrist but he turned his wrist and just pulled away. Duwayne ran towards the bus stop where we were standing and turned round and shouted something like ‘Leg it, Steve’ or ‘Run, Stephen’.”

Mr Brooks managed to run away but Mr Lawrence was forced to the ground. Mr Westbrook told the jury: “I saw them surround Stephen and he went down basically through sheer weight of numbers in the middle of them... it looked at the time that someone went to punch him.”

One of the attackers then lifted his leg to try to kick Mr Lawrence.

The court was told: “He lifted his leg backwards to give him a good kick. As he did that, Stephen came up between his legs, struggled up and ran up the road in the same direction as Duwayne Brooks had gone.”

Mr Westbrook added: “From my viewpoint, it was a completely unprovoked attack. They did nothing to justify it.”

A youth who got on the bus with him said: “It looks like they got him because he was black, doesn’t it?”

Frenchwoman Alexandra Marie, who was was working in England as an au pair for six months at the time of the murder, told the jury that Mr Lawrence did not fight back when he was attacked. She was waiting at the bus stop with Mr Westbrook. She said: “There were some white men who were like kicking him and holding him at the same time, but the young man didn’t reply. He tried to protect himself.”

The trial continues.