Teenager jailed for cooking pet

A TEENAGER who microwaved his brother's hamster was sent to a young offenders institution for four months.

The 16-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was also banned from keeping animals for four years.

The RSPCA said the one-year-old female golden hamster had to be put down after suffering severe burns. One of its feet was burnt through to the bone.

The boy, from the Corby area of Northamptonshire, carried out the offence in March last year. He pleaded guilty to one count of causing unnecessary suffering to an animal.