Royal family to consider appointing diversity chief in wake of bombshell Harry and Meghan interview

Buckingham Palace is to consider appointing a diversity chief as "more needs to be done" to address the issue, a royal source has said.

The proposals, which have the "full support" of the royal family, aim to seek independent views to help assess and improve representation across the royal household.

It comes after the Duke and Duchess of Sussex claimed in an explosive interview with Oprah Winfrey that a member of the family - not the Queen or the Duke of Edinburgh - had made a racist comment about their son Archie.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

While the work being undertaken around diversity pre-dates the couple's interview, their comments will be taken on board as part of the process, it is understood.

A royal source said: "This is an issue which has been taken very seriously across the royal households.

"We have the policies, the procedures and programmes in place but we haven't seen the progress we would like and accept more needs to be done, we can always improve.

"Therefore we are not afraid to look at new ways of approaching it. The work to do this has been under way for some time now and comes with the full support of the family."

On the potential appointment of a diversity chief, as first reported by the Mail on Sunday, the source added: "It is something that has to be considered but it is too early for any firm plans to be announced.

Explosive revelations made by Harry and Meghan during their Oprah interview made headlines around the world.

"We are listening and learning, to get this right."

The source said the work to improve diversity will include LGBTQI+ and disability representation.

Buckingham Palace said in response to Harry and Meghan's interview claims that the issues raised, particularly that of race, were "concerning".

It said in a statement earlier in March: "Whilst some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately."

The Sussexes claimed during their Oprah interview that a family member had raised concerns before their son was born about how dark his skin tone might be.

While CBS paid between $7million and $9million for the licensing rights, according to The Wall Street Journal, Meghan and Harry will actually make no money from the exclusive programme.

Instead, it is thought that Oprah’s own production company, Harpo Productions, will benefit from the special broadcast.

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this article. We're more reliant on your support than ever as the shift in consumer habits brought about by coronavirus impacts our advertisers.

If you haven't already, please consider supporting our trusted, fact-checked journalism by taking out a digital subscription at https://www.scotsman.com/subscriptions.

 0 comments

Want to join the conversation? Please or to comment on this article.