Police face probe over ‘hacking cover-up’

POLICE face being hauled before MPs over claims they failed to release details to parliament of an investigation that showed legal, telecoms and insurance firms were linked to phone hacking.

Picture: PA

The Commons home affairs committee will meet today to decide whether to recall the Serious and Organised Crime Agency (Soca) for questioning about documents reportedly showing it knew about the alleged activities six years ago.

According to a report by the organisation, leaked to a national newspaper, law, insurance and telecoms companies routinely used criminals and investigators to hack, blag and steal information on business rivals and members of the public.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

One hacker admitted that 80 per cent of his client list was made up of such firms, with the remaining 20 per cent attributed to the media, according to the newspaper.

The Leveson Inquiry did not deal with the claims because its terms of reference were about the press and believed any other matters would be ruled beyond its remit.

Committee chairman Keith Vaz admitted: “I am concerned that with the abolition of Soca vital evidence may be lost in the transfer to the NCA (National Crime Agency).”