Police apologise as Grenfell victim's bone found in tumble dryer

Scotland Yard has apologised after a Grenfell victim's bone fragment was found in a tumble dryer six months after the tragedy.
Seventy one people were killed in the Grenfell Tower disasterSeventy one people were killed in the Grenfell Tower disaster
Seventy one people were killed in the Grenfell Tower disaster

The family of Mohamed Amied Neda held a second funeral after the discovery was made a few weeks ago, when police sent his clothes to be cleaned.

Mr Neda, 57, jumped from the tower block and died as a result of multiple injuries consistent with a fall.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

His wife Flora has spoken of her anger at the police. She said the reburial was harder than the first funeral.

She told Channel 4 News: “After six months, they start cleaning. They found one piece of his bone in the washing machine.

“I’m angry with that. We are angry. Why didn’t they check proper? Why did it take so long?

“Even the police aren’t getting the answer for me.

“They tell the truth for us. I think it is respectful, but we are angry because why they didn’t check first time and they didn’t tell us?

“This time is more difficult from the first time, it is more difficult, we did again.

“The ceremony ... reburied, everything.”

The Metropolitan Police said they have apologised to the family for the “distress that this has caused” and said Grenfell was “one of the most complex investigations” ever undertaken by the force.

A spokeswoman said: “Mr Neda’s clothing was sent to an external company for professional cleaning of each item prior to their return to his family.

“Each person’s items are cleaned within an isolated environment, so no cross-contamination can occur.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“It was during this process that a small fragment of bone was discovered.

“Applying the same rigorous identification regime used throughout this operation the fragment was confirmed as originating from Mr Neda.”

She added: “At no stage during the post-mortem was it identified that there was a possibility any part of his body was missing.”

Mrs Neda and her son Farhad were the only residents to make it out of the 23rd floor at the top of Grenfell tower.

She said she was comforted her husband spent his final moments trying to help their neighbours.

“I’m proud of him, he helped people and he died because he wanted to help more people,” she said.

In the moments before he died, Mr Neda left his family a final message: “Goodbye, I am leaving this world, goodbye. I hope you forgive me. Goodbye everyone.”

Police have said the final death toll from the fire was 71, including a stillborn baby.

Related topics: