Crews have stopped the fire that consumed Victoria’s nightclub from spreading to the 114-year Pavilion Theatre.
The blaze has now been contained, with more than 120 firefighters battling the incident.
The successful rescue was confirmed as Scottish Opera announced it was cancelling tonight’s performance at the Theatre Royal Glasgow.
A statement said: “Scottish Opera deeply regrets that this evening’s performance of Ariadne auf Naxos has been cancelled. The Theatre Royal Glasgow has been affected by smoke from a nearby fire and it is going to take some time for this to clear from the building.”
Scottish Opera general director Alex Reedijk said: “Unfortunately, the theatre sits directly downwind from the nearby fire on Sauchiehall Street and has been affected by smoke.
“It is going to take some time for this to clear from the building and ensure that it is comfortable for our audiences and performers.
“We are, of course, very sorry for the disappointment and inconvenience this causes our audience members. We hope that they will be able to join us at one of the other performances of the show.”
Those with tickets for tonight’s show can swap them for the performances in Glasgow on 24 or 28 March.
A full refund will automatically be issued by the box office next week for those unable or unwilling to swap performances.
Assistant Chief Officer Lewis Ramsay earlier said saving the Pavilion Theatre had been one of the first priorities for emergency crews.
He said: “It was a really complicated fire with an extensive fire spread, spreading across a number of older tenement-style buildings.
“I am delighted to say we have managed to contain it within the block that was affected and more importantly we have managed to protect and save some iconic premises round about, most notably the Pavilion Theatre.
“I can’t tell you how relieved I am no-one was injured.”
The alarm was raised about 8:20am.
ACO Ramsay praised the first crews for their quick response.
“The first crews did a great job,” he said.
“They got into the premises as quickly as they could, but it was an inferno.
“It was like a blowtorch and they were beaten back by the heat and the flames and a really rapid spread.”
ACO Ramsay said fire crews had to come out of the building quickly before undertaking “some really aggressive firefighting”.
“I had concerns the fire would spread and that was high up in my priorities,” he said.
“We took steps to ensure that didn’t happen and we have now stopped the fire in the building of origin.”
A total of 20 fire engines were sent to the scene of the fire.
Occupants of surrounding buildings have been warned to stay indoors and keep their windows closed due to the suspected presence of asbestos.