Terror as gunfire rings out in village woodland

A POLICE investigation is under way after a man was found seriously injured following reports of gunfire and "gangsters" in a Lothian village.

An area of woodland in Fauldhouse, West Lothian, was cordoned off following the mystery incident on Tuesday night.

Police confirmed a 40-year-old man was taken to St John's Hospital after being "seriously assaulted" but that he had not suffered gunshot wounds. They are still investigating whether any shots were fired.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Residents in the McKinnon Road area said they were left "terrified" after a gang of men in cars descended on the piece of wasteland, near a playpark, before hearing shouting and gun fire.

One woman, who asked to remain anonymous, said: "My husband was just coming in the driveway when he said he heard shots, glass smashing and a lot of shouting and told me to phone the police.

"It went on for a while then a BMW car came flying down the road. Police said two cars had been in a head-on collision and that windows had been smashed with boulders.

"They also found a mobile. I was also told by police that two cars were registered in England and hadn't been reported stolen. One of the neighbours took the registration.

"The police came very fast but there was a lot of blood in one of the vehicles that I saw. It seemed like something out of a gangster movie where a drug deal had went wrong or something but maybe we watch too many films. There were search dogs everywhere. It's so quiet and rural. It was frightening."

Another neighbour said: "I saw three heavies get out of a car and two cars had blocked the entrance that looked like they didn't want somebody to get out.

"They were big guys with hoods on. Two cars were blocking the entrance before a BMW sped away. There were more cars in the field and two were towed away."

A police spokesman confirmed an investigation was under way. He said: "Lothian and Borders Police are investigating after a 40-year-old man was seriously assaulted in Fauldhouse, West Lothian.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

"The man was taken to St John's Hospital, where he was treated for serious injuries. He has since been discharged.

"Officers are also carrying out enquiries following reports of a firearm being discharged around the time of the assault."