Teenager dies from injuries suffered on summer job

THE father of a teenager fatally injured working a summer job has paid a touching tribute to his son in which he told other parents to enjoy every moment with their child, and not to take life for granted.

Denholm MacNamee, where the accident took place. Picture: Contributed

Michael McLean had spent the school holidays working alongside his father Mark at an oil services firm in order to scrape together enough money to pay for driving lessons.

But on his last day of the job, just days before he was due to start back at school, tragedy struck.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The 17-year-old was found at the firm’s base in Aberdeenshire on Friday unconscious with a broken neck, two punctured lungs and damage to his back and leg.

Despite the best efforts of medics, Michael suffered “irreparable” damage to his spine and scans showed little brain activity due to the extent of his mysterious injuries.

His distraught family kept a bedside vigil by the teenager’s side until saying their final farewells yesterday, when Michael’s life support was turned off.

Mr McLean, who battled to save his son, said that all parents should make the most of every minute they get to spend with their child.

He said: “Just love and cherish your kids and time with them – life is cruel and very fragile. Mikey gave us a wonderful 17 years which will never be forgotten. He touched people’s hearts with his caring and quiet nature.

“He was the best son and friend we could have ever asked for – he will be missed by a lot of people. The hospital have been great and all our friends have been there for us all the time which has been a great support. Mikey we will always love you.”

However, Michael’s father also revealed how the teenager’s tragic death may benefit others in need because he was an organ donor. Mr McLean, 42, said: “Michael had an organ donor card through the school and it’s also something we believe in.

“I’m hopeful some good can come out of this tragic situation and other people can be helped out.”

Michael, from Aberdeen, was severely injured while working at Denholm MacNamee, an industrial cleaning firm based in Inverurie.

Mr McLean, the company’s designated first aider, rushed to his son’s aid after a colleague raised the alarm. His first aid training kicked in and he immediately started CPR.

He kept his youngster’s heart beating for around 10 minutes before paramedics arrived on scene to rush the teenager to hospital.

Michael was put into an induced coma when he arrived at Aberdeen Royal Infirmary but there was nothing doctors could do.

He was due to return to Kincorth Academy this week to start sixth year and had dreams of becoming a graphic designer or a joiner. He had recently passed his exams, much to his parents’ delight.

Mother Angela, an offshore stewardess, managed to get an emergency flight back to Aberdeen and was by his bedside on Friday night.

Police said that they were investigating.