Stabbing and sexual assault mar 'peaceful' T in the Park

A SERIES of violent incidents marred an otherwise peaceful T in the Park, Scotland's largest outdoor music festival, police said yesterday.

• A sea of debris marks the T in the Park site at Balado, Fife, where 85,000 revellers gathered for a weekend of music.

Late on Saturday night a 20-year-old woman attending the Balado festival was sexually assaulted close to one of the main stages.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Shortly after the festival ended on Sunday night, two young men were stabbed in an incident which Tayside Police are treating as attempted murder.

Tayside Police said three men in their twenties had been arrested in connection with an investigation into the "serious incident" in which two festival revellers sustained abdominal wounds at T in the Park on Sunday night.

Chief Superintendent Craig Suttie, who was in charge of policing at the event, said that despite the serious incidents, this year's T in the Park had been one of the most peaceful staged in recent years.

A total of 229 crimes were recorded during the weekend, compared to 358 in 2009 and 432 in 2008. The majority of offences related to theft, drugs misuse and minor assault. There were 345 arrests at this year's Glastonbury festival.

Chief Supt Suttie said: "We have to keep things in perspective. We had 85.000 people at the festival. But we have probably had less crime than we would naturally expect in any city and town throughout Scotland, in terms of serious crimes and the overall number of crimes.

"The level of disorder and violence is extremely low, compared to anywhere else."

He said the comparatively low level of crime at the festival was down to the "excellent behaviour and the good community spirits" demonstrated by the vast majority of revellers at the event.

Chief Supt Suttie continued: "The atmosphere once again has been superb. I would also thank the 450 police officers and the many security staff and stewards for the excellent way in which they have worked together over the course of the weekend, as well as the organisers themselves and the many other agencies who have delivered a successful of T in the Park."

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Police appealed for help in investigating the stabbing incident on Sunday night.

Detective Inspector Steve Bissett said: "This was a particularly disturbing incident, where two men have sustained very serious injuries. This was the time when the majority of campers were making their way back to the campsite. It's possible some campers may have captured vital images of the incident on cameras or mobile phones.

"I would urge anyone who may have photographs or footage of the incident, to get in touch with us."

Meanwhile a 19-year-old man remained in a critical condition at Ninewells Hospital yesterday after accidentally falling from a flag pole in the main arena on Saturday night. He sustained a serious head injury after he fell about 6ft from the pole.