Scots offshore worker sues Dyson for £20,000

AN OFFSHORE oil worker is suing the electrical company Dyson after claiming he was knocked unconscious in a freak accident caused by a faulty vacuum cleaner.

Norman Grant, of Aberdeen, says he was sent hurtling down the stairs when the vacuum’s extendable hose snapped from the machine and wrapped itself around his body.

The semi-retired father of two claims he has been unable to play golf since the accident and is suing James Dyson’s company for 20,000.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Mr Grant said the accident, which happened the first time he tried to vacuum his stairs with his 270 root cyclone cleaner, left him with a broken wrist, a severely twisted neck and a strained back.

He said: "The cable hose backlashed on to me and hit me on the chest, round my arms and on the head and neck. I just went down the stairs at breakneck speed.

"I saw a flash and then bang, I was knocked unconscious. It was the first time I had ever used it. I was semi-retired, but was going to take up full-time work again but now that’s scuppered.

"I’m quite a tough cookie but I was quite severely injured and my wrist is really bad. I used to love golf but I can’t play any more."

Mr Grant claims a Dyson engineer who came to his home to examine the vacuum cleaner admitted it was faulty, but he said the company later backtracked and denied there was a problem with the machine.

Quantum Claims managing director, George Clark, handling the case for Mr Grant, said he was disappointed with the course of action the firm has taken.

A spokesman for Dyson confirmed that the firm’s insurers had instructed solicitors to defend their case. He said: "Dyson continues to place user safety at the forefront of its product design and development."

Related topics: