£56,000 fine for death fall in school hall

A LOCAL authority was fined following the death of an electrician working in a school gym.

Robert McGill, 35, died in hospital after an elevated platform he was working from toppled over while being moved at Kilmarnock Academy in Ayrshire last year.

Mr McGill, who had worked for East Ayrshire Council for 18 years, had been repairing overhead lights in the school hall.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

East Ayrshire Council pleaded guilty to breaching the Heath and Safety at Work Act 1974, the Scottish Court Service said.

At Kilmarnock Sheriff Court yesterday, Sheriff Seth Ireland fined the council 56,000.

He said: "The aggravating features, in my view, are the apparent lack of any real safe system of work for the operation of this platform prior to the most unfortunate accident and resultant death of Mr McGill."

He added: "The loss of Mr McGill to his family must be regarded as being beyond any monetary figure."