It is understood that there were concerns among party officials as to whether Hollie Cameron who had been due to contest the safe SNP seat of Glasgow Kelvin, would follow the Labour whip over when a second vote might be held.
In a statement, Ms Cameron said she was “disappointed” that Labour had withdrawn its support, adding that she had been open about her views “throughout the selection process” and had not received “any confirmation in writing” about the decision.
She added that she hoped the party would reconsider.
The 29-year-old’s removal as a Labour candidate comes after the Sunday National published an interview with her on Sunday, March 7, in which she said she was supported calls for a second independence referendum within the next Parliament.
She told the paper: “the right to have a referendum is something the Scottish Labour Party respects.
“The only quibble appears to be the timing and there are different opinions in the Labour Party.
“It is just a matter of whether you think we should have that in the next parliamentary term or not. I say why not?”
In the same interview, Ms Cameron said she did not believe her views clashed with those of Labour’s new leader, Anas Sarwar, who as recently as last week insisted that Scotland had to prioritise its recovery from the coronavirus pandemic.
The Glasgow region MSP said: “The idea that we come through this and go straight into a divisive referendum campaign.
“I just don’t think it is the right thing to do.”
Responding to news of the withdrawal of Labour’s support for her candidacy, Ms Cameron said: “I have been very touched by the support I have received from my local party and party members.
She added: “Following the leadership election, Anas Sarwar stated that Scotland hadn't had the Labour Party it deserves; I did and continue to believe I am the Labour candidate Glasgow Kelvin deserves.”
The Scottish Labour Party has been approached for comment.