Mobile units run by the British Army will begin testing key workers at care homes across the country this week.
Health Secretary Jeane Freeman said five of the testing pods would begin work this week, and a further eight would follow in the coming weeks.
The news comes after reports of drive-through testing centres for healthcare workers being “under-used” as staff in rural areas have been unable to venture miles to attend the mass testing hubs.
It is understood only 20 per cent of healthcare workers had been tested for COVID-19 which led to this push for alternative methods of testing.
Speaking to BBC Sunday Politics Scotland, Ms Freeman said: “We anticipate in the coming week we will have five of those and then that will be followed by a further eight.
“We’ll be able to offer that more direct mobile testing facility as well as what is currently under way through our NHS labs.”
About one third of coronavirus deaths in Scotland have been in care homes, according to government officials, while care home and hospital deaths were almost equal in the week to April 19.