Blackford says Sturgeon ‘acted honourably’ over Salmond sexual assault claims
Former first minister Mr Salmond’s submissions to an inquiry into sexual assault claims against him have been obtained by national newspapers, in which he claims Ms Sturgeon’s evidence over when she knew about the allegations was “simply untrue”.
Ms Sturgeon, who took over as First Minister and SNP leader in late 2014, initially told Holyrood she first heard of complaints of sexual misconduct against her predecessor at a meeting with him at her home on April 2 2018.
But in Mr Salmond’s subsequent criminal trial, it was revealed Ms Sturgeon had been made aware of the allegations in an informal meeting with his former chief of staff Geoff Aberdein on March 29 that year – four days earlier – with Ms Sturgeon later telling the inquiry she “forgot” about the encounter.
Mr Blackford said he did not believe the allegations about Ms Sturgeon were correct.
He told BBC Radio 4’s Any Questions programme: “I believe that the First Minister has acted in an honourable way, she’s someone that I’ve every faith and trust in.
“I can tell you that the approval ratings for the First Minister, the respect that she has right up and down the country of Scotland, is enormous and this is something that will pass – when she appears in front of the committee these matters will be dealt with.”
In his inquiry submission, Mr Salmond said the March meeting had been arranged after Mr Aberdein was told of two allegations made under a new complaints procedure set up in light of the MeToo movement.
According to The Herald, Mr Salmond said: “This (preliminary) meeting was for the purpose of discussing the complaints and thereafter arranging a direct meeting between myself and the First Minister.
“There was never the slightest doubt what the meeting was about. Any suggestion by the First Minister to the Scottish Parliament that the meeting was ‘fleeting or opportunistic’ is simply untrue.
“Most seriously, Parliament has been repeatedly misled on a number of occasions about the nature of the meeting of 2nd April 2018.
“The First Minister told Parliament (see Official Report of 8th, 10th & 17th January 2019) that she first learned of the complaints against me when I visited her home on 2nd April 2018.
“That is untrue and is a breach of the ministerial code.”
Mr Salmond, who was cleared of 13 charges at the High Court in Edinburgh last March, confirmed to The Times he had submitted the evidence to James Hamilton – the independent adviser on the ministerial code who is conducting a separate investigation into Ms Sturgeon.
A Scottish Government spokeswoman said: “The First Minister and the permanent secretary stand by what has been said to Parliament and in written evidence to the committee.
“The permanent secretary has also already provided detailed answers in person to the committee and will provide further oral evidence on Tuesday.
“The First Minister looks forward to answering questions when she appears later this month.
“In relation to the ministerial code referral, Mr Hamilton has the freedom to investigate as he feels is appropriate and we will not prejudge that process.”
A message from the Editor:
Thank you for reading this article. We're more reliant on your support than ever as the shift in consumer habits brought about by coronavirus impacts our advertisers.
If you haven't already, please consider supporting our trusted, fact-checked journalism by taking out a digital subscription.
Want to join the conversation? Please or to comment on this article.