1. Denial – a normal defence mechanism to protect against overwhelming emotions of loss. Therefore 45 per cent v 55 per cent equals a victory, and proceed on that basis.
2. Anger – plenty of that as reality intrudes, some of it not conducive to bringing us all back together again as one fine nation.
3. Bargaining – plenty of that to look forward to and hopefully a solution that is seen as fair and equitable to all.
4. Depression – we all need to be aware of this, particularly among our young citizens.
5. Acceptance – not guaranteed for everyone but hopefully enough of us for the country to move forward in a cohesive manner.
(Dr) Bruce Halliday