OAPs hurt in kitchen blaze

TWO elderly residents of a sheltered housing complex had to be treated for smoke inhalation after a fire broke out in a kitchen.

A 95-year-old woman was taken to hospital after the blaze ripped through her flat within the St Bernard's House sheltered housing complex in Henderson Row, Stockbridge.

Her neighbour - an 85-year-old man who raised the alarm by phoning the emergency services - was treated by paramedics at the scene. The fire broke out just after 11am yesterday, and involved both the cooker and microwave and caused "considerable damage" to the elderly resident's kitchen.