Missing Mikaeel Kular died from internal bleeding

THREE-year-old Mikaeel Kular, whose body was found in woods after a major police hunt, died from internal bleeding and peritonitis, his death certificate has revealed.
Mikaeel Kular went missing from his Edinburgh home in January. Picture: ComplimentaryMikaeel Kular went missing from his Edinburgh home in January. Picture: Complimentary
Mikaeel Kular went missing from his Edinburgh home in January. Picture: Complimentary

Mikaeel’s body was found in Kirkcaldy in Fife, less than two days after his mother reported him missing from the family’s Edinburgh home on Thursday 16 January.

His mother Rosdeep Kular, 33, a beauty therapist, has since been charged with her son’s murder and also of attempting to defeat the ends of justice.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The death certificate, which was released by a registrar in Kirkcaldy, gives the cause of the youngster’s death as “peritonitis and intra-abdominal haemorrhage (pending investigation)”.

Mikaeel’s death was registered by his step-grandfather, Mr B Krishnaswamy. The time on the death certificate was recorded as “04:02 on 18 January”.

The report states his body was found in “Woodland behind Dunvagen Avenue, Kirkcaldy”.

Police had switched their investigation to a property in Kirkcaldy and the woodland behind it more than a day after Mikaeel went missing.

Hundreds of people joined in the search for Mikaeel in the Scottish capital after he was reported missing from his home in Ferry Gait Crescent on

the morning of 16 January.

Peritonitis is inflammation of the peritoneum – the thin lining of the abdomen. The inflammation is most often caused by an infection from elsewhere in the body, but it can also develop directly.

An intra-abdominal haemorrhage is a bleed inside someone’s abdomen.

After Mikaeel was reported missing, police issued a photograph of the youngster which was shown on television throughout the UK.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Mikaeel had attended a nursery at Flora Stevenson Primary School, where staff remembered him as “a happy, smiley wee boy”.

After the youngster’s body was found, hundreds of people in Edinburgh gathered at the city’s Muirhouse St Andrew’s Church for a service in his memory. They also released dozens of colourful balloons.

Candlelit vigils for Mikaeel were held on both sides of the Firth of Forth, at Cramond in Edinburgh and Ravenscraig beach in Kirkcaldy.

Kular, a single mother-of-five, is currently being held on remand at Cornton Vale prison near Stirling. She has appeared twice in court in Edinburgh, making no plea or declaration.

Last week, officials at the prison launched an investigation after Kular’s Facebook page, which had been taken down after she was charged with murder, appeared online again.