Lynda Spence trial: Court hears accused told detectives he saw Lynda Spence bound to chair with tape

A MAN accused of murder told detectives that the last time he saw missing financial adviser Lynda Spence she was frightened and bound to a chair with tape, a court has heard.

David Parker, who denies murdering and abducting Miss Spence, made the comment when he was interviewed by


The interview was conducted by Detective Constable Nicholas Eaton, who was giving evidence at the High Court in Glasgow yesterday at the trial of Parker, 37, Paul Smith, 47, Philip Wade, 42, and Colin Coats, 42.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

They deny abducting and then torturing Miss Spence at a flat in West Kilbride between 14 and 28 April, 2011.

It is claimed the men murdered Miss Spence on 28 April, 2011, after torturing her to obtain financial information, then cut off her head and disposed of her body.

Solicitor General Lesley Thomson QC, prosecuting, played the jury the tape of the interview.

Parker told DC Eaton that Miss Spence was held in his home at Meadowfoot Road, West Kilbride, for between

11 and 13 days.

During the interview, Parker said: “I had no part in hurting her or anything like that at all.

I fed her, gave her tea, smokes.”

Parker said he had been asked by his friend, Smith, if someone who was in trouble and owed money could be kept at his flat.

He added: “I didn’t know what it was about at the time. He said it might happen and might not happen. A day or two after that he said the thing was on. I took him up to my flat and he said people would be coming soon.”

He told the court that a woman was brought to the flat whom he said he later found out was Miss Spence.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Parker said he was frightened of Coats and a man he only knew as Philip, and claimed that hacksaw blades were pushed through his letterbox while Miss Spence was at his flat.

He told detectives: “When they put the hacksaw blades through my door I realised it was high-duty serious.”

He was asked by DC Eaton how Miss Spence was physically, and replied: “A couple of bruises on her face, I think.

“I didn’t want to look at her.

I didn’t ask for this. I had no idea how serious it was.”

Parker was asked: “Was she free to move about?”

He replied: “No, she was stuck in the chair and taped.”

He said she had tape round her torso and there was also tape round the chair.

Parker was asked: “What state was she in?” He replied: “She was in a frightened state.”

He was told police had information that she had more injuries than a couple of bruises, and Parker said: “I know she was injured, but I didn’t know in what way. I didn’t want to know.”

Minutes later, Parker added: “I think she was punched about quite a bit.”

He claimed that Coats and the man he called Philip would

arrive and go upstairs and speak to Miss Spence while he and Smith were downstairs.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Parker was asked if he had seen Miss Spence being assaulted. He said he had not, but added: “I could hear it from downstairs.”

Earlier, the court heard that Smith was asked by police if he knew where Miss Spence was, and told them in a taped

interview: “I don’t know. If I knew, I would tell you.”

Smith also told police that Miss Spence had the tip of a little finger and a thumb cut off, and toes crushed, and also claimed she had been burned on her hand.

The trial before judge Lord Pentland continues.