Luskentyre, Isle of Harris beach named one of the best in UK
LUSKENTYRE, Isle of Harris has been named one of the best beaches in the UK by travellers.
Famous for its white sandy beach and green-blue waters, Luskentyre was given the nod based TripAdvisor reviews and ratings.
It was the only Scottish beach to make the top ten list.
Woolacombe beach in Devon was named as the UK’s best beach for a second year in a row.
The travel site described Woolacombe as having “rolling, unbroken surf which makes it the ideal hotspot for surfers”.
It added: “The sheer length of the beach means that there is no shortage of sand to sit down and relax on during the busy summer months.”
Cornwall was particularly popular with four of its beaches named in the list.
The number one beach in the world was named as Grace Bay in the Turks and Caicos, a set of islands south-east of the Bahamas in the Atlantic Ocean.
Closer to home, the best beach in Europe was named as Playa de Ses Illetes on the Spanish island of Formentera.
The top 10 beaches in the UK according to TripAdvisor:
1. Woolacombe Beach, Woolacombe, Devon
2. Weymouth Beach, Weymouth, Dorset
3. St Brelade’s Bay Beach, St Brelade, Jersey
4. Rhossili Bay, Rhossili, Swansea
5. Porthmeor Beach, St Ives, Cornwall
6. Fistral Beach, Newquay, Cornwall
7. Porthminster Beach, St Ives, Cornwall
8. Perranporth Beach, Perranporth, Cornwall
9. Hengistbury Head, Bournemouth, Dorset
10. Luskentyre, Isle of Harris