Kilmarnock incident: what happened at Crosshouse hospital after mother and daughter killed in linked attacks

Emma Robertson Coupland and her daughter Nicole Anderson died in the attacks last week

A mother and daughter died in linked attacks in Kilmarnock last Thursday (4 February).

NHS worker Emma Robertson Coupland, 39, and her daughter Nicole Anderson, 24, were attacked within 20 minutes of each other as University Hospital Crosshouse was placed in lockdown for three hours while police attended a series of three incidents.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Steven Robertson, 40, died in a fatal road crash shortly after the attacks.

Police were called to the scene at Crosshouse hospital at around 7:45pm on Thursday (PA Media)

Police inquiries into the deaths and crash are still ongoing.

This is everything that happened during the incidents at Kilmarnock.

What happened in Kilmarnock?

Police were called to the scene of the first incident at the Crosshouse hospital at around 7:45pm on Thursday evening.

Police Scotland confirmed that areas in the town centre remained cordoned off on Friday morning (PA Media)

Emma Robertson Coupland was found injured after being attacked in the car park. She received medical care but died at the scene.

A second incident then occurred at about 8:05pm on Portland Street, about two miles away from the hospital, where Nicole Anderson was fatally stabbed.

Emergency services attended and she was taken to Crosshouse hospital, where she later died.

Tributes poured in for the mother and daughter last week. Ms Anderson’s fiancé Vicky described her as an “angel”.

There was a heavy police presence in the town (PA Media)

She wrote: "My beautiful wee angel I will love you forever.

"Hoping I could wake up and this all be a dream can’t take it in I’m completely broken."

A third incident, a fatal road crash, happened on the C50 between the B7036 and the A76 at about 8:30pm.

Steven Robertson, who was driving the car, was pronounced dead at the scene.

It is understood that the two women died after Robertson, Emma’s former husband, attacked them.

Police Scotland said it was not looking for anyone else as part of the investigation and that there is no ongoing threat to the public.

An East Ayrshire Council statement following the attacks said: "Following on from the tragic incidents in and around Kilmarnock last night, our thoughts are with all the families and individuals affected by these events.

"We know our communities will be shocked and saddened by these events, but we wish to reassure them that there is no risk to the general public at this time and we are supporting our colleagues in NHS Ayrshire & Arran and Police Scotland wherever we can."

A balloon tribute to remember the two women has been planned by another of Emma’s daughters, Demi-Lee, and will happen at the town’s Bellfield Estate on Friday (12 February).

When was the hospital lockdown lifted?

Local residents in the town said they had heard sirens and a helicopter shortly before 8:30pm.

While the hospital was in lockdown, ambulances were diverted to University Hospital Ayr.

Lockdown at the Crosshouse site was lifted just before 11pm.

On Friday (5 February) morning, the hospital was open and running as normal, while there was still a police presence outside with part of the car park cordoned off.

Police Scotland confirmed that Portland Street and other areas in the town centre remained closed on Friday.

Dr Crawford McGuffie, the medical director of NHS Ayrshire and Arran, reassured patients and staff coming into the hospital that it was safe.

He said on Friday: "There remains a large police presence on the grounds of the hospital.

"We would like to reassure anyone coming to the hospital, in particular to any patients or staff coming on shift, that Police Scotland have confirmed it is safe to do so.

"However, if you are worried, please speak to the onsite Police Scotland officers."

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon paid tribute to the women who died in the attack on Twitter.

She wrote: "Dreadful news. My thoughts are with the bereaved. Thinking too of everyone at Crosshouse Hospital, already dealing with the tough circumstances of Covid. I’m also grateful to our emergency services. Please continue to follow ⁦@policescotland advice.”

Deputy First Minister John Swinney opened the government’s coronavirus daily briefing on Friday by paying his condolences.

He said: "I'm very sorry to say that two people were killed in the attack, which took place at the Crosshouse hospital and in Portland St, Kilmarnock. A third person died in a subsequent road traffic incident, and Police Scotland believe these 3 deaths were connected.

"My thoughts are very much with the families and friends of those individuals. A tragedy like this would be impossible to understand at any time, but after the events of the past year, it's particularly shocking that such an incident took place at a hospital.

"An investigation of course is ongoing, however Police Scotland have confirmed that the site at Crosshouse hospital is secure - and it's safe for patients and staff to go there. For now, I simply want to thank the police officers and all the medical staff."