Gun-toting model guilty of executing boyfriend in street

AN ASPIRING model has been found guilty of murdering her boyfriend by shooting him in the head.

• Caroline Igoe with lover Martyn Barclay. Picture: PA

There were angry scenes at the High Court in Edinburgh as a jury found Caroline Igoe, 32, guilty of killing Martyn Barclay.

Her brother, Paul Igoe, 37, was cleared of murder but found guilty with her of possessing the handgun and attempting to cover their tracks.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Onlookers in the public gallery hurled insults when the unanimous verdict against the killer was read out.

The 26-year-old victim was found dead outside the pair's home in the Inch area of Edinburgh on 17 January last year.

He had been shot in the head and died in hospital. The handgun was found months later in woods near Craigmillar Castle.

Both accused denied the murder at Hazelwood Grove, possessing a firearm and attempting to defeat the ends of justice by covering their tracks over five months.

Judge Lord Bracadale told Igoe, who has previous convictions and was on bail at the time of the murder

: "The jury has found you guilty of murdering Martyn Barclay by shooting him in the head in a public street.

"In any view, that was an act of great wickedness."

Turning to her brother, Lord Bracadale said his crimes were "serious" and they will both return to court for sentencing after background reports are filed.

The court heard that Igoe, a hairdresser, had previous convictions for dishonesty and malicious damage but had never been jailed.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

She had known her victim for about six years and formed a relationship with him three months before his murder. While their relationship was stormy, no motive for the killing was given during Igoe's trial.

Paul Igoe was previously given community service and has convictions for assault, robbery and breach of the peace.

A painter and decorator, he has been out of work and was treated for alcohol problems and depression, the court was told.

The jury returned its verdicts after five hours of deliberations.

The gallery erupted when Igoe was found guilty of murder and police officers were forced to restore calm. Some onlookers shouted "scumbag" and hurled insults before leaving the court.

Relatives of the victim said they were happy with the verdict but made no other comment as they left the building.

Lord Bracadale said the pair will be sentenced at the High Court in Edinburgh on 27 May.

In a statement issued by police, Mr Barclay's family said they were "delighted" at the verdict.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

"We have been through a long and emotionally exhausting 15 months waiting for this day and we are delighted with the verdict the jury has reached.

"We are satisfied that justice has been done today for Martyn's young son, Michael, and the rest of the family. All of us were devastated by his loss.

"We would like to thank the many people involved in this case and the police and Crown for bringing it successfully to court. We would also like to thank the jury.

"Martyn was much loved and will be forever in our thoughts."

Detective Superintendent Lesley Boal said:

"I would like to reassure the public that shootings of this nature are extremely rare in Lothian and Borders."

Short-lived relationship that ended in cold blood

MARTYN Barclay had only been with Caroline Igoe for a few weeks when she gunned him down on their doorstep.

The pair had known each other from around the Inch area of Edinburgh but began a relationship when they were re-introduced at a social event in November 2008.

He moved into her family home at Hazelwood Grove straight away – but three months later he was dead.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The father-of-one died in hospital on 17 January last year after Igoe shot him in the head.

What followed was a 13-month investigation, dubbed Operation Micron.

The Hibs fan had suffered horrific injuries but it was not immediately obvious how they had come about.

Suspicions were raised at an early stage after a 999 call made from the Hazelwood Grove house – shortly after police were alerted – was soon disconnected.

In a second call from the same address, the caller spoke of a man being shot in the head but later suggested he had simply fallen.

Police explored a number of possibilities – that Martyn had been shot during an argument by someone he knew, that he was the victim of a random shooting or even that he had killed himself – but it soon became a murder hunt.

The inquiry received a major boost on 13 March last year when the murder weapon was found by dog walkers in woods near Craigmillar Castle. Tests showed the victim's blood was on the 9mm replica pistol.

Police faced a number of challenges, notably the fact that many of the key people who knew what had happened provided false information.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

But gradually the net closed in around Martyn's drinking pal Paul Igoe and sister Caroline.