Fire closes luxury capital restauarant

One of the capital’s luxury restaurants had to be cleared after an electrical fire broke out in the reception area.

Fire crews were called to The Witchery by the Castle at the top of Edinburgh’s Royal Mile at around 7pm on Thursday. The neighbouring headquarters of the Edinburgh International Festival at the Hub was also closed after smoke entered the building.

Firefighters spent about two hours bringing the blaze under control. The fire is thought to have started in the electrical cables and ducting.

The restaurant reopened yesterday.