Eleven Scots fined for drunken disturbance on plane to Malta

ELEVEN Scots have admitted endangering passenger safety during a flight to Malta for a music festival.

Eleven Scots fined after drunken Ryanair flight

The group escaped jail in a Maltese court after being arrested for rowdy behaviour on a flight from Edinburgh to the island.

Josh Douglas, 22, Cristopher Kennedy, 32, David Conglaton, 34, Peter Cusack, 34, David Brooks,21, Craig Jardine, 32, Scott McGinlay, 30, Craig Niddrie, 30, Liam Mcrae, 31 and Stuart James Smith, 30 pleaded guilty to behaving recklessly and endangering passenger safety.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

They also admitted entering an aircraft while drunk, disturbing public peace and interfering with the performance of the crew.

They were fined €1,000 each and given a five-month jail term suspended for three years.

The Scots were on their way to Malta for the Lost and Found Festival being held this weekend and will be leaving on Tuesday.

They were warned to behave for the rest of their stay.

Read More

Read More
Nicola Sturgeon restates free prescription pledge

Scores of people, including families with young children, were stuck at Malta International Airport when the flight they were supposed to get on was held up for a number of hours as a result.

The Scots were left in the terminal building for over three hours after police with sniffer dogs stormed the plane from Edinburgh as it sat on the tarmac.

The Ryanair crew alerted the authorities to the rowdy behaviour on board and 11 were eventually arrested.

Magistrate Donatella Frendo Dimech told the Scots she could not understand how they could undertake such conduct, adding: “It is unbecoming. I hope you will behave yourself until you depart during your stay.”

A Ryanair spokeswoman said the crew requested police assistance upon arrival after a number of passengers became disruptive in-flight.

She added: “The aircraft landed normally and police removed and detained these individuals at Malta Airport. As a result, the return flight departed to Edinburgh with a delay of two hours.

“We sincerely apologise to affected customers, but we will not tolerate unruly or disruptive behaviour at any time and the safety and comfort of our customers, crew and aircraft is our number one priority.”