Edinburgh’s Best Bar: Help us find city’s top pub
Today we can reveal the Edinburgh Evening News Top 40 Best Bar 2014 nominees – and we need you to help find the winner.
Whatever is important to you about your local – the atmosphere, the food, the selection of beers and wines, the quiz night, dart board or maybe just the friendly staff, we want you to shout about how great it is.
EDINBURGH EVENING NEWS E-EDITION
Maybe it’s the best venue for watching sport, perhaps it’s the perfect venue for a chat and a bite to eat.
All the pubs and bars on the list have been nominated for different reasons with one common theme – their regulars think they are the best in the business.
So whether you submitted a nomination or not, it’s time to help get your favourite get through to the next round – The Top 20 – and one step closer to winning the title of the Edinburgh Evening News Best Bar 2014.
Paul Waterson, chief executive of the Scottish Licensed Trade Association, has no doubt the pubs which have made the top 40 are vital not just to their regulars but the city as a whole.
“Pubs generally are all things to all men. They provide a whole range of entertainment, they provide good food and they also are very often the heart of the communities that they serve.
“Especially in Edinburgh, we know that pubs are very important to tourism with 71 per cent of all foreign tourists eating at a pub when they are here.
“They are right at the top of the list when it comes to visitor attractions. They are a great asset to the Scottish social scene and a real selling point for tourism as well as being forever popular with locals.”
Voting for your top bar is easy, you can either send us a text or fill out the voting form on this page and post it to us by the closing date of December 1.
So get behind your favourite and make the votes count, before we call time!
Which bar gets your vote?
001. Mercat Bar, West Maitland Street
002. Port O’Leith, Constitution Street
003. Norhet Bar, Main St, Davidson’s Mains
004. Mash Tun, Easter Road
005. The Staggs, North High Street, Musselburgh
006. Smithies, Eyre Place
007. The Phoenix, Broughton Street
008. Café Habana, Greenside Lane
009. Tynecastle Arms, Gorgie Road
010. Athletic Arms, Angle Park Terrace
011. Bar Reverie, Newington Road
012. Mathers, Broughton Street
013. Oceana, Ferry Road
014. Bar G&V, George IV Bridge
015. Greenmantle, Nicolson Street
016. Harbour Inn, Fishmarket Square, Newhaven
017. Hectors, Deanhaugh Street
018. The Grey Horse Inn, Main Street, Balerno
019. The Links Bar, Alvaney Terrace
020. Ye Olde Inn, Main Street, Davidson’s Mains
021. Kilted Pig, Colinton Road
022. The Beaten Docket, Portobello High Street
023. Thomsons Bar, Morrison Street
024. Cloisters, Brougham Street
025. Le Di-Vin, Randolph Place
026. Prydes, Gorgie Road
027. Haymarket Bar, West Maitland Street
028. Scran & Scallie, Comely Bank Road
029. Roseburn Bar, Roseburn Terrace
030. Bramble, Queen Street
031. The Other Place, Broughton Road
032. The Old Bell Inn, Causewayside
033. Carriers Quarters, Bernard Street
034. Jolly Judge, Lawnmarket
035. Middletons, Easter Road
036. Barony Bar, Broughton Street
037. Canon’s Gait, Canongate
038. Dickens Bar, Dalry Road
039. Limelight, Jocks Lodge
040. The Paper Mill, West Mill Road
How to vote
BY POST: Fill in the coupon available in our print edition and post it to: Edinburgh Evening News, Best Bar of the Year 2014, Orchard Brae House, 30 Queensferry Road, Edinburgh, EH4 2HS. All postal entries must reach us by noon Monday, December 1. You can vote as many times as you like, but you must use the official coupon from the paper. Photocopied or defaced coupons will not be accepted. REMEMBER: A POSTAL FORM IS WORTH TWO VOTES
BY TEXT MESSAGE: Text your votes before 9am on Monday, December 1, to 65550. Simply start your text with the words EENBAR followed by the 3 digit code of the pub/ bar you wish to vote for. Follow this with a space and then your name, address and e-mail address. For example EENBAR007 Joe Bloggs 99 Nowhere St Edinburgh EH00 [email protected].
Text messages cost £1 in addition to your standard network charge and should contain no more than 160 characters