Donald Trump cancels February visit to UK

President Donald Trump has scrapped his UK visit in February. Picture; AP
President Donald Trump has scrapped his UK visit in February. Picture; AP
Share this article
0
Have your say

US president Donald Trump has confirmed he has cancelled his trip to London, saying he did not want to cut the ribbon on the new US embassy as he deemed the building’s relocation a “bad deal”.

US president Donald Trump has confirmed he will not travel to the UK to open the new American embassy - and hit out at the location of the 1.2 billion dollar (£886 million) project.

Writing on Twitter, Mr Trump said he thought the embassy’s move from Grosvenor Square in the prestigious Mayfair district of central London to Nine Elms, south of the Thames, was a “bad deal”.

He wrote: “Reason I cancelled my trip to London is that I am not a big fan of the Obama Administration having sold perhaps the best located and finest embassy in London for “peanuts,” only to build a new one in an off location for 1.2 billion dollars.

“Bad deal. Wanted me to cut ribbon-NO!”

British government sources said they had never officially been informed of a date for Mr Trump to make a visit, but speculation had suggested he would formally open the embassy at a ceremony in February.

The new building will open for business on January 16.

READ MORE: Donald Trump wants to ‘Trumpalise’ the Queen during UK visit

In December Ambassador Woody Johnson said he was looking forward to welcoming the president when he visited, adding: “I think he will be very impressed with this building and the people who occupy it.”

He said the new embassy was a “signal to the world that this special relationship that we have is stronger and is going to grow and get better”.

Despite Mr Trump publicly blaming predecessor Barack Obama, the US announced plans to move to the new site in October 2008 - when George W Bush was in the White House.

On the embassy web page about the project, it said: “The project has been funded entirely by the proceeds of the sale of other US Government properties in London, not through appropriated funds.”

READ MORE: Explosive Trump book ‘Fire and Fury’ arrives in Edinburgh

Mr Trump’s decision not to head across the Atlantic comes despite Prime Minister Theresa May saying that a future visit was still on the cards last week.

A Downing Street spokesman said: “Our position is that an offer for a state visit has been extended and accepted.”

Mrs May controversially extended the offer of a state visit - officially on behalf of the Queen - when she became the first world leader to meet Mr Trump in the White House following his inauguration last year.

Since then, however, the president has indicated he does not want to take up the invitation if he is going to face mass demonstrations and it had been expected he could make a low-key working visit rather than a trip which involved all the trappings of a state occasion.

Last month, the White House said it would announce details “soon” of Mr Trump’s proposed visit to the UK.

In reply to Mr Trump’s tweet, former Labour leader Ed Miliband posted: “Nope it’s because nobody wanted you to come. And you got the message.”

Mrs May and Mr Trump fell out spectacularly in November over his retweeting of anti-Muslim videos posted online by the deputy leader of the far-right Britain First group, Jayda Fransen.

At the time, the PM said Mr Trump was “wrong” to retweet the videos, and the US president hit back at Mrs May on Twitter by telling her to focus on “destructive radical Islamic terrorism” in the UK, rather than on him.

Liberal Democrat Foreign Affairs spokesperson Jo Swinson said: “News that Trump has thrown his toys out of the pram and cancelled his trip to the UK will be welcomed by all of us who reject his abhorrent views.

“But it’s a disappointing sign of how weak May’s leadership is that she wasn’t brave enough to call the visit off herself.

“The Prime Minister should be ashamed that she was so keen to roll out the red carpet to a man who spreads hate and division at every turn, and goes out of his way to undermine British values.”

Labour MP Stephen Doughty said on Twitter: “Reason @realDonaldTrump canceled trip to London is that we are not a big fan of his racist, sexist, unthinking behaviour.

“Big protests if he came to cut ribbon. He wanted the red carpet treatment and cheering crowds - NO!”