Sailor kicked out of Royal Navy after drunken rampage at Faslane base

A sailor in the Royal Navy was kicked out after a drunken rampage at Faslane during which he spat in a police officer's eye and broke a paramedic's glasses.

The case was heard at Dumbarton Sheriff Court. Pic: John Devlin
The case was heard at Dumbarton Sheriff Court. Pic: John Devlin
The case was heard at Dumbarton Sheriff Court. Pic: John Devlin

David Smith, 32, was dropped off by a taxi driver at HM Naval Base Clyde, in Faslane, Helensburgh, Argyll and Bute - but was so drunk he fell out of the cab and blacked out.

Police patrolling the Navy base spotted him and went to help, but Smith regained consciousness and began shouting and kicking.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

He was cuffed but began banging his head on a metal cabinet and threatened to kill himself - before spitting in a police officer's eye, and kneeing a paramedic in the face in the back of an ambulance, causing the man's glasses to break.

Smith, of Liverpool, pleaded guilty to three charges of assault and one count of threatening or abusive behaviour at Dumbarton Sheriff Court.

He was kicked out of the Navy after nearly four years of service due to his behaviour on November 23, the court heard.

Prosecutor Gemma McKechnie said: "It was just after midnight when a taxi driver picked up the accused, who asked to take him to HM Naval Base Clyde.

"Just before one o'clock, police carrying out duties around the base observed the accused leaving a taxi and then lying motionless at the side of the road.

Read More
Insight: Neglect of Forces veterans continues to end in tragedy

"Further police were called to attend and administered first aid. The accused regained consciousness and began acting aggressively towards the witnesses.

"He began shouting and swearing and kicking out at a turnstile at the south gate.

"He was handcuffed but resisted officers' attempts to arrest him by pulling his arms away, and then struck a metal pole with his head.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

"Paramedics were called. He stated he was going to kill himself.

"He struck a metal cabinet with his head, and had to be restrained to be examined.

"At this point he spat on the police witnesses, striking one of them in the eye.

"On a journey to the Royal Alexandra Hospital he struck a paramedic in the face with his knee, causing the witness's glasses to break."

Defending, Alan Murdoch said: "He is totally remorseful towards all the victims. It's completely out of character for him. He has never been in trouble with the police before.

"He fell out of the taxi and banged his head while it was still moving.

"He lost his job after three and a half years' military service as a result of this incident and is willing to accept any punishment you deem necessary."

Sheriff Hamilton told Smith: "This was a shameful display of behaviour.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

"I accept there were some extraneous circumstances that made life difficult at the time, but I hope Mr Murdoch is correct that you are remorseful - listening to what the fiscal has said, it was a despicable course of conduct, fuelled by drink.

"You have been discharged from the Royal Navy, unsurprisingly, because of your conduct.

"If any of those factors had been missing the likelihood is you would have been going to jail for this."

Smith was given a community payback order which will see him supervised by social workers for 12 months, and ordered to do 250 hours of unpaid community work.