9am briefing: Edinburgh couple celebrate New Year baby

A CITY couple are celebrating the arrival of their baby boy who child who became the second Scots child born in 2012 when he was delivered on his parents’ bathroom floor.

Paul Fleming delivered his son Joseph after his wife Nikki went into labour unexpectedly just before the New Year bells.

Ambulance staff talked him through the process while paramedics rushed to their home in Colinton.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Nikki had been due to give birth on January 12 but went into labour at 11.30pm on Hogmanay.

“It’s not what you bank on - delivering your son three minutes after midnight on Hogmanay,” said Paul.

• A CANCER patient has died after suffering burns when he sneaked into a toilet at the Western General Hospital to have a cigarette despite being on oxygen.

The 65-year-old suffered burns to his face after a fire broke out in a toilet in a first-floor ward, He passed away 48 hours later.

The man is believed to have removed an oxygen mask attached to a small portable tank before lighting the cigarette, sparking the blaze at 4pm last Wednesday.

The pensioner had terminal lung cancer and hospital bosses are understood to believe that his illness, rather than the injuries from the fire, caused his death.

• Emergency services had a busy start to the year.

An 82-year-old man had to be cut out of a vehicle after two cars crashed in Colinton Road at the junction with Glenlockhart Road at 5.32pm yesterday.

He was taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary along with a 50-year-old man who was also injured in the crash.

At 6.03pm yesterday, a Collie cross called Sam slipped from the dockside at Victoria Quay in Leith and fell 2.5 metres into the water. The dog managed to scramble onto a wooden bollard floating in the water before firefighters were able to rescue the pet using an inflatable sled and reunite the animal with his owner.

A short time later, firefighters were called to Murrayburn Place after a fire broke out in a second floor flat. The fire was already extinguished when firefighters arrived but a 27-year-old man needed treatment with gel packs and oxygen after suffering serious burns before being taken to the ERI.

A man and a woman, both aged around 53-years-old, were treated for smoke inhalation after a fire started in an oven at a home in Bingham Broadway in Bingham at 9.25pm yesterday. The pair were treated at the scene by paramedics.

Firefighters were called to Morrison Street shortly after midnight today and found rubbish alight in the stairwell of a four-floor tenement.

A group of ten people in a third-floor flat were left trapped, with firefighters advising them not to leave the home due to the smoke.