Death threats for mum of man accused of shooting Bradley Welsh

The mother of the man accused of murdering T2 Trainspotting star Bradley Welsh received death threats following her son’s arrest, a court has heard.

Shona Orman,58, told lawyers on Monday how detectives have checked on her welfare after her son was detained for allegedly killing Welsh in Edinburgh in April 2019.

The High Court in Edinburgh heard Mrs Orman say that Sean, 30, lived her in the weeks leading up to Mr Welsh’s death.

She said that following the alleged murder, a man telephoned her to say that her son was alright and if she wanted to pass a message onto him.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Shotgun blast: Bradley Welsh

The court also heard that Orman has been in custody following his arrest and had a mobile phone with him. Mrs Orman said she exchanged WhatsApp messages with him.

She told defence advocate Ian Duguid QC that the police have also visited her at her home to see if she was alright.

Mrs Orman said: “They’ve been back to check on my well being. There’s been back for me to sign the paper work for the death threats and to check on my security.”

Mrs Orman was giving evidence on the fourth day of proceedings against Sean, who denies murdering Welsh on April 17 2019.

He also denies attempting to murder a man called David McMillan,50, and assaulting his son, also David, on March 13 2019 at their home in Pitcairn Grove, Edinburgh,,

Prosecutors claim Orman killed Welsh who won praise after he played Mr Doyle in the sequel to Danny Boyle’s classic 1996 movie Trainspotting.

In the movie- which was based on Scottish author Irvine Welsh’s novel Trainspotting - Mr Doyle drives Renton and Sick Boy to the countryside after he becomes aware of their attempts to make money at his expense. He forces them to strip naked and walk through woods in one memorable scene.

Outside of acting, Welsh, a Hibs fan, ran a boxing gym in the Scottish capital and had been offering programs to help kids stay out of trouble.

He was also involved with and Edinburgh based charity Helping Hands which fights inequality in the city.

Before taking up acting, Welsh was also an amateur British lightweight boxing champion.

However, he lost his life aged 48.

On Monday, Mrs Orman told the court how Sean lived with her at her home in the Longstone area of Edinburgh in 2019.

She said that in the days following Welsh’s death, police had come to her house seeking to speak to Orman.

The administration assistant also told the court that on April 21 2019, she received a phone call just after 4pm when she was at her sister’s home.

Prosecution lawyer Richard Goddard QC said: “Did you recognise the number?”

She replied: “No.”

Mr Goddard asked: “Who was on the other end?”

She replied: “It was a male on the other end saying to me; he was just letting me know that Sean was okay.”

Mr Goddard asked: “Did the male identify himself?”

Mrs Orman replied: “No. He just asked me if I had a message to pass onto him.”

Mr Goddard then asked: “What did you say?”

Mrs Orman replied: “I told him to tell him that the police had been to the house looking for him; that the police wanted to speak to him.”

Mr Goddard asked: “Did you recognise the voice at all?”

Mrs Orman replied: “No.”

Mr Goddard replied: “Do you know what the voice of George or Dode or Dode Baigrie sounds like?”

She replied: “No.”

The court heard that on April 23, police came with a warrant to search her property. They took her phone and papers from Sean’s room.

The court heard that after Sean had been arrested in custody and was in Shotts Prison, she had a telephone number for him and they sent WhatsApp messages to each other.

Mr Goddard said: “You knew this was a phone which he shouldn’t have had.”

Mrs Orman replied: “Yes. But my son got in touch with me and I had to get back in touch with him. He was my son.”

Orman has pleaded not guilty to a charge of murdering Welsh and 14 other charges.

Prosecutors have also brought other charges for alleged motoring offences, possessing ‘controlled’ drugs and breaching firearms legislation.

Prosecutors claim that on March 13 2019, at 1 Pitcairn Grove, Edinburgh, Orman - “whilst acting along with others to the prosecutor unknown” wore a mask and assaulted Mr McMillan by striking him to the head and body with a machete or “similar instrument.”

It’s claimed that the assault was to Mr McMillan’s “severe injury” and “permanent” impairment and that Mr Orman attempted to murder him.

It’s also alleged on the same date at the same location Mr Orman assaulted Mr McMillan’s 25-year-old son, also named David, by striking him on the body with a machete or similar instrument to his injury.

On April 17 2019, at 3a Chester Street, Edinburgh, prosecutors claim Mr Orman murdered Mr Welsh by firing a shotgun at him.

His legal team have lodged two special defences to the court.

In relation to the alleged assaults on the McMillans, Orman claims a man called Michael Sutherland “and others.. unknown” were responsible for the alleged attacks.

Orman’s legal team claims that at the time Welsh was shot, he was not in Chester Street but was “elsewhere” travelling alone on a “cycle” between Longstone in Edinburgh and Kirknewton, West Lothian.

The trial, before judge Lord Beckett, continues.

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this article. We're more reliant on your support than ever as the shift in consumer habits brought about by coronavirus impacts our advertisers.

If you haven't already, please consider supporting our trusted, fact-checked journalism by taking out a digital subscription.