Back at the spring Fashion Weeks, alongside all the forthcoming fashions for autumn, we got a major dose of ‘nail-spiration’, thanks to the catwalk models’ manicures.
And now the AW15 nail colour collections are landing in shops, so it’s time to tend to those talons and stock up on this season’s essential shades.
From dark and dramatic to punchy pink, these are the catwalk-inspired nail polishes to get your mitts on.
THE NEW BLACK
The gothic Victoriana vibe championed by Giles Deacon wasn’t matched, as you might imagine, with straight-up pitch black nails.
In fact, lots of designers plumped for bruised but not-quite-black shades, from moody maroon at Giles to storm cloud blue at Marissa Webb and darkest ink at Dior.
• OPI Light My Sapphire, £12.50 (www.opiuk.com)
• All That Jazz Nail Polish in Rhythm of the Night, £5.95 (www.nailpolishdirect.co.uk)
All the coolest girls are getting green-fingered this season - but it doesn’t involve any gardening.
Preen’s ‘heritage redux’ collection was shot through with a variety of muddy greens and models’ nails were painted to match, while Burberry’s AW15 polish collection includes a pair of military-inspired hues: khaki and cadet.
• Burberry Nail Polish Khaki Green, £15 (www.burberry.com)
• Nails Inc Battersea Park Nail Polish, £14 (www.nailsinc.com)
Pastel pink ruled on the runways, but when it comes to nails, you’ve got to turn it up a notch.
Chanel’s limited edition Le Vernis colours are always influential; we’re predicting a sell-out of the gorgeously dark fuchsia, Singuliere.
If you’re a fan of a gel manicure, ask for Gelish Texas Me Later, a deep raspberry hue, next time you’re in the salon.
• Chanel Le Vernis Singuliere, £18 (available October 8; www.boots.com)
• Gelish Texas Me Later, manicures start from £25 in salons nationwide (www.nailharmony.co.uk)
DOWN TO EARTH
Inspired by the subdued Seventies fashion palette, many of the autumn nail collections feature warm, earthy tones.
Mavala’s ruddy line-up runs from milk chocolate to creamy rose, with spicy Samara the ideal alternative to pillar box red this season.
For something a little more luxe, take your cue from the Alice and Olivia catwalk by topping deep aubergine with gold glitter polish.
• Mavala Samara Nail Polish, £4.95 (available late October; www.johnlewis.com)
• Microcell Night Dream Colour & Repair, £14.95 (www.micro-cell.uk.com)
Nail art took a bit of a back seat for autumn, but at Rachel Antonoff, the print-heavy collection was enhanced with a trio of arty designs - and you don’t need to be a pro to perfect them.
To create a cute floral motif, start with a coat of OPI Amore at the Grand Canal, then add three short strokes of white or cream at the nail bed to form the petals. Finish with a spot of blue and drag a pin outwards through the polish a few times for a realistic stamen effect.
• OPI Amore at the Grand Canal, £12.50 (www.opiuk.com)