16 lost and abandoned railway stations in Scotland - and what happened to them
From eerie abandoned waiting rooms and tunnels to renovated and re-used, what happened to these 15 lost Scottish railway stations?
Lost and abandoned railway stations can be found all over Scotland. The vast majority of them fell victim to the notorious Beeching cuts of the 1960s, which sought to half the number of operational stations in the United Kingdom. Following closure, many stations were demolished in their entirety and the land they once occupied redeveloped. Others, meanwhile, lay derelict and forgotten before being adapted for alternative uses. We take a look at some of the most famous.
The station closed to passengers in 1965, though the line stayed open to freight for another six years. Aberlours main buildings have since been transformed into a visitor centre and tearooms. Creagan Railway Station opened on 24 August 1903. The main station building was spared demolition when the line was axed in March 1966 and is still visible from the A828 today. Girvan Old railway station was a terminus station in 1860 and closed to regular passenger traffic in 1893. Remnants of the old station platform can still be seen today. Opened in the 1850s, Buchanan Street Station featured a wooden terminal building which operated as a goods station until the 20th century. It was demolished in 1967, with its services redirected to Queen Street. It was designed by James Miller, and was destroyed by fire in 1968, just a few years after it was permanently closed in 1964. The outer walls remain standing, as well as part of an entrance vestibule. Built during the heyday of Victorian rail travel, the Botanic Gardens station was opened in 1896. The stations main buildings were on ground level, and platforms underground. It closed due to financial struggles of WW1. Cardrona Station was opened in 1864 as a part of the Innerleithen and Galashiels Railway. After the lines closure in 1962, the stations main building lay disused for a number of years. Today is used as a cafe. Opened by the North British Railway Company in the 1840s, Hassendean Station was among the oldest stations in Scotland but was axed following the Beeching report. Some of the station buildings have since been restored. Situated between Govan Cross and Partick Cross, Merkland Street Station opened with the Glasgow Subway in 1896. It wasn't the tunnel collapse from a Luftwaffe bomb that closed it but because it wasn't fit for modernisation. Central Station was a North British-run terminal serving the Leith district of Edinburgh. It was constructed in 1903 and was open to regular passenger traffic until 1957. Most of the station was demolished in the late 80s. Edinburghs second largest railway terminal after Waverley, Princes Street Station opened in the 1870s but was extensively rebuilt between 1890 and 1893. After the stations closure in 1965 and demolition five years later. Loanhead station opened in 1874 and was adjacent to Ramsay Colliery which was under construction. It was a busy line until the early 20th Century, when it was closed in 1968. You can still see the old booking office. Construction on the Scotland Street Tunnel began during the early 1840s but was abandoned in 1868 after only 21 years of operation. It was built to link Canal Street Station (later renamed Waverley Station) to Granton. St Enoch was a main line railway station and hotel which opened in October 1876. Despite averaging over 23,000 passengers a day, St Enochs services were transferred to Glasgow Central and the station closed in June 1966. St Andrews lost its rail link, which had opened in 1852, in 1969. The original station has been largely absorbed by the Old Course Hotel but the Station Master's House remains as The Jigger Inn. Aboyne Station opened in 1859 but was rebuilt in spectacular fashion around 1900. The main building of the station still stands today. The line closed to regular passenger traffic on 28 February 1966.