While Edinburgh rightfully has a reputation as a city of historic sandstone townhouses and tenements, and despite efforts to erase much of its art deco heritage in the latter part of the 20th century, there are plenty of survivors dressed in the distinct 1930s architectural style with an EH postcode – you just have to know where to look.
Here’s our guide to the best art deco Auld Reekie has to offer.
1. White House, Niddrie Mains Rd (1936)
Recently renovated and converted from a pub into at art space, the White House today is fit for a president.
Photo: Greg Macvean
2. Southside Garage, Causewayside (1933)
The Causewayside garage designed by Basil Spence in 1933 is now a wine emporium.
Photo: Julie Bull
3. Castlebrae Business Centre, Peffermill Place (1936)
Originally built as Niddrie Marischal Secondary School this B-listed beauty would better suit Miami's Ocean Drive than the industrial estates of east Edinburgh.
Photo: Colin Hattersley
4. Maybury Casino, South Maybury (1935)
Designed in an elegant art deco style by architects Patterson and Broom in 1935, the Maybury Casino originally opened as a roadhouse at a cost of £25,000.
Photo: Phil Wilkinson