Covid Scotland: Airdrie man leaves hospital after nearly 200 days

A Scottish man has finally left hospital nearly 200 days after he was first admitted with coronavirus.

Let us know what you think and join the conversation at the bottom of this article

Neil McLaughlin was taken to University Hospital Hairmyres in East Kilbride, South Lanarkshire, on November 21 last year with the "typical symptoms" of a cough and feeling out of breath.

Sign up to our public interest bulletins - get the latest news on the Coronavirus

Sign up to our public interest bulletins - get the latest news on the Coronavirus

The condition of the 63-year-old from Chapelhall in Airdrie North Lanarkshire, quickly deteriorated and he was rushed to the intensive care unit (ICU) where he had to be intubated - for 167 days.

Neil McLaughlin, with partner Wendy Busby (left), leaves the University Hospital Hairmyres, East Kilbride, after being discharged.

Doctors believe this makes Mr McLaughlin one of - if not the longest - patients requiring intubation in Scotland as a result of Covid-19.

On Friday, hundreds of staff including nurses gathered at a distance in the reception area of the hospital and balconies as the patient was finally allowed home, accompanied by his partner Wendy Busby.

Read More

Read More
Scottish seaside staycation: This coastal cabin looks out over the pristine whit...

He said: "It's very humbling, it's fair to say a lot of the staff clapping I've never met before but because I've been in hospital so long everybody gets to know your story.

"Me being a guy I decided it was a cold, Wendy being an ex-nurse decided it wasn't a cold so she booked me a Covid test which came back positive.

"The first lot I don't remember too much of because I was sedated for five weeks and I was so full of drugs you don't really know what's going on.

"(The physios) brought my mobility on because I've had to learn how to walk again, lying in bed for so long... they've all been fantastic, even down to the people who made the tea.

"[There is] still work to be done but home now so that's the main thing".

Not long after leaving Hairmyres, Mr McLaughlin, himself a former support worker, was on a video call with a cousin who was "over the moon" to see him again after getting out.

He added the first thing he intends to do when he gets home will be to "make a fuss of the dog" - and he is looking forward to a steak dinner.

Ms Busby told how she spent Christmas day on the phone talking to her partner who was sedated in the hospital ward.

The 55-year-old said: "He was in the Covid ICU, he was still Covid positive so there was no chance of getting in, it was just constant phone calls and reassurance from the nurses.

"I was wishing him a Merry Christmas, telling him what I was doing, it was quite emotional but that how was my Christmas to Neil was spent.

"The staff were absolutely amazing, not only amazing with Neil but for myself - the comfort they gave me when I used to phone up and as Neil says, it's not just the doctors and the nurses."

Dr Chris Keuh, one of the consultant physicians, said "He took a long time to recover, a long time to improve and eventually he was sent down here to ward 10 which is one of our general medical wards.

"Neil's worked quite hard, he's had a good attitude about him and has worked very hard with the physiotherapists and today Neil is able to go home after 195 days in hospital.

"It's been fantastic because we've seen him week on week get better, it's not just myself but the entire hospital pulling together and Neil himself improving. We'll miss him but actually it's a great sign that people are recovering from this.

"Although Neil's time in hospital has come to an end his recovery isn't at an end at the moment so, unfortunately, he's still is going to have community physiotherapy coming in to try and help him to build a strength back up.

"Unfortunately, being in hospital for that length of time has its consequences and we don't know the full effects of Covid until probably much much later, it's still up to him to continue to work with the physiotherapist to recover from this.

"There have been a lot of people that haven't been as lucky as Neil and unfortunately passed away, there were a few times when actually we didn't think he was going to survive, and he still managed to pull through so you know it is unusual that he's taken so long but we're happy that he's managed to pull through this and get home."

Thank you for reading this article. We're more reliant on your support than ever as the shift in consumer habits brought about by Coronavirus impacts our advertisers.If you haven't already, please consider supporting our trusted, fact-checked journalism by taking out a digital subscription.


Want to join the conversation? Please or to comment on this article.