The Prince of Wales has tested positive for coronavirus and is displaying mild symptoms "but otherwise remains in good health", Clarence House has said.
A Clarence House spokesman said: "He has been displaying mild symptoms but otherwise remains in good health and has been working from home throughout the last few days as usual.
"The Duchess of Cornwall has also been tested but does not have the virus. In accordance with Government and medical advice, the Prince and the Duchess are now self-isolating at home in Scotland.
"The tests were carried out by the NHS in Aberdeenshire where they met the criteria required for testing.
"It is not possible to ascertain from whom the Prince caught the virus owing to the high number of engagements he carried out in his public role during recent weeks."
Last week, The Scotsman reported that the Queen had left London for Windsor Castle to socially distance herself amid the coronavirus pandemic.
A statement from Buckingham Palace this morning read: “The Queen remains in good health. The Queen last saw The Prince of Wales briefly on the morning of March 12 and is following all the appropriate advice with regard to her welfare.
“We will not be commenting further.”
Her Majesty headed for the sanctuary of her Berkshire home a week earlier than she normally would at this time of year, and is expected to remain there beyond the Easter period.
Her Wednesday audience with the Prime Minister will, for the foreseeable future, take place on the phone.
First Minister Nicola Sturgeon this afternoon said: "I send my best wishes to Prince Charles."
Asked if he should have come to Scotland at all – in the light of government ‘stay at home’ rules – she said: "I will repeat what I've said - we want people to behave responsibly and not see the Highlands and Islands as places where they can try to outrun the virus, that's not possible
"Of course people have homes in Scotland and people will choose to go to their homes, but generally speaking remote areas are under pressure as health services are further away, and we don't want people putting more pressure on these services."
Chief Medical Officer Dr Catherine Calderwood said she had spoken to NHS Grampian and Prince Charles had been tested for "clinical reasons".
She added: "I'm pleased to say he's very well and like many who have had this virus, has had a mild illness."